Advanced Search

Microscope Choices

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am going to buy a low cost (~$50) handheld USB scope to inspect my kitchen knife sharpening progress and try a few things (like more accurate edge straightening techniques via steeling).  I have read/seen a lot of everyone’s posts/vids here and still feel like the info is all over the map.  There are many options out there yet a lot of them seem to be licensed repackaging of the same stuff.  Most of specs and reviews seem to be on the misleading side of things (with MP, resolution and theoretical mag).  I know you get what you pay for but is the Dino-lite really worth 2-3x the price and why ?  Are the optics and chip really better ?  They all probably use the same ones.

I just ordered the new 1500 diamond stones plus the 9/5/3 Alum Oxide films and want to see the effects. I am also fascinated with the post process image layering capabilities of Adobe, etc. I have also seen a demo of #2 below plugged into a smartphone which would be the ultimate in portablility.

I have narrowed my choices to:

1. Carson Optical MM-840 2MP (75x-300x) at $37.61
    2. Plugable 2MP (10x-250x mag) at $34.95 – which looks physically very, very similar to #1 (except for the color)
    3. Celestron 44302 2MP (10x-150x) at $37.99
    4. Celestron 5MP (20x-200x) at $80 – you would think the more MP the better but the reviews are unclear

Recommendations and comments would be appreciated.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have the 5MP Celestron and like it for handheld inspection of the edge between grits.  The number of pixels isn’t all that important unless you want to print the photos or zoom in digitally.  Most PC monitors are set at 1280 X 968, which is 1.3MP.  5MP is just double the pixels of the 1.3MP, so there really isn’t that much to gain (double horizontally and double vertically).  I’ve almost never used the 5MP res.  If you have a relatively new wide screen monitor, you might be able to display at a higher res, but I don’t think you need it.  I also use the higher magnification very seldom.  My Celestron focuses at the rim of the shroud at 50X and again at 155X, using a 21″ monitor.  The higher magnification is too annoying to keep in focus as the depth of field is too shallow.

Hope this helps you…

2 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Most of specs and reviews seem to be on the misleading side of things (with MP, resolution and theoretical mag).

I agree, most of the USB scopes are virtually equal.  The only reason why I like Dino-lite is the proprietary software it comes with (DinoCapture 2.0).  The software allows you to measure with the USB camera scope very accurately.  The cheaper scopes are just a scope and basic imaging software.  How would someone use the software for sharpening knives?  See the images below of measured and documented edge impressions.  WARNING; This isn’t for everyone but is the reason the Dino-lite is so expensive and unique (Proprietary).  The optics are also pretty good but I would say not any better than other similar scopes (Overall).  One could get away with the cheapest Dino-lite scope and get the great software and measurement tools (See One here).

Note;  Because any USB scope only has one objective lens, it is physically/optically limited by it.  This is the reason why Dino-lite has many different scopes with many different, magnifications, lighting options, and consequently, may different price points.  Basically, each scope is application and need based.  The scope referenced above for $100.o0 (US) is adequate for “most” of our needs. I hope this is helpful!

ZT-0770CF-2-Small

BEPM-multi

Japanese-Kitchen-Knife-Galexy-small

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

Is the Celestron truly 5MP ? I get mixed answers about whether the pics would be twice the resolution on appropriate monitors.  I think the post process image layering would benefit from more MP.  Yet the specs from Celestron (attached) indicate a 1600 x 1200 pixel array which is 2MP. 44308

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

Thanks for all the help.  I just ordered the Carson Optical MM-840 2MP (75x-300x) at $37.61

The software is supposed to be pretty good, will work when plugged into my Samsung Note5 phone with a $5 cable, and has a capacitive switch for snapping pictures.  I called Celestron about the 5MP having a 1600 x 1200 array (2MP) and couldn’t get a straight answer (waiting for a call back).  Also found a ProScope EDU 5MP at $119 which highlighted the 5MP a lot but did not have the array info. There also was not any real reviews nor detailed tech data to find. I called Dino-Lite because I found it very strange that they don’t offer a 5MP until the $1,000 level.  Pretty much all of their <$1,000 items have only 1.3MP. I was expecting to hear that the 5MP sensor is much more expensive but I did not hear that.  I also expected to hear that their optics and sensor were much better quality but I didn’t hear that either.  Their basic answer on why Dino-lite is 10-20x the price was metal housing, 10x-50x optical zoom, software, tech support and the various polarizing type add-ons.  As much as I would like to go to the EDOF versions, >$1000 is a bit much just to see what’s happening to my 20 kitchen knives.

Alas, I figured I would try the Carson @$37 and see if it fits my needs. I want to improve my steeling and not have to pull out my WE just to tune up my non-serrated steak knives.  I think I will start a Topic on that if I can’t find a good one.

I will post some pics when I get them.

Readheads
    Participant

I have used my new Carson and find it a great deal at $37.  Software is basic but works fine.  Focus knob is full circle and smooth. Pic taking with capacitive button or software. Goose neck holder allows for pretty repeatable viewing between sharpening strokes.  It also displays nicely on my laptop and phone.  Pics are as clear as I need to see scratch patterns and they stack up nicely for edge views. Attached are some pics of the scope, hi/low mag on PC and phone.  Like all these scopes actual mag is function of your display also.  These were saved on my laptop (then resized from 100 to 25 in paint to reduce filesize).  Best I can tell was that on my laptop screen size the lo mag was ~35x and the hi mag ~150x (~4 times the difference —- which is what the 75 to 300 scope spec says).  With a bigger/better monitor I think I would get closer to the spec.  However, what I got was more than enough for scratch pattern patrolling. I will save the home built electron microscope for another time LOL.

Carson-USB-Mag
    PC-Low-Mag
    PC-High-Mag

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

Stacked image compilation (using freeware) 5 images plus Stacked in this post plus the next one

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

last one plus stacked image5
    6-Stacked

Attachments:
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

The only reason why I like Dino-lite is the proprietary software it comes with (DinoCapture 2.0).  The software allows you to measure with the USB camera scope very accurately. ………  The scope referenced above for $100.o0 (US) is adequate for “most” of our needs.

Unfortunately $100 model (AM2111) has measurement toolbar disabled in DinoCapture 2.0. Dino-Lite Basic model AM2111 is crippled. The measurement features are available only in models costing $250 and up. Here is compatibility chart from here

Untitled-2

The good news is that Celestron 5MP comes with software that allows to draw angles and shows angle value.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

If there is anyone who wants to share their Dino-Lite or Celestron software with me, that would be very kind. Please send me a PM. I have two scopes, but only very basic software.

Very nive pics, Redheads!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mark:  The software for the Celestron MicroCapture Pro is available for free download on their web site, but I’ve never been able to get it to recognize any other of my ‘scopes, including my Carson and my Chinese ‘scopes.

Mark76
    Participant

Ah, thanks for the tip, Tom. I’ll give it a try with low expectations 🙂 . Anybody experience with the Dino Lite software?

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Anybody experience with the Dino Lite software?

Dino-Lite software DinoCapture 2.0 also available for free download on website, but it works only with Dino-Lite scopes.

Mark76
    Participant

Anybody experience with the Dino Lite software?

Dino-Lite software DinoCapture 2.0 also available for free download on website, but it works only with Dino-Lite scopes.

I had taken a look on their site already, but couldn’t find it. But the second time with Google it worked. Thanks, Dulledge!

Fortunately one of my scopes is a DinoLite 🙂 .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.