Advanced Search

Micro bevel issue??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys, is anyone able to advise me please?

I gave my Endura 4 with VG10 a super mirror finish at 15 dps and then gave it a 1000 grit micro bevel at 1000 grit at 20 dps and I absolutely love this edge.

Right ok, so I have tried to reproduce this same edge with my PM2 with S30V steel.  If I give it a 15 dps 1000 grit edge it is super sharp etc, but as soon as I try to give it a 20 dps micro bevel I seem to loose the edge some how, it will start to snag on paper etc and is just not as sharp with the micro bevel.  Under the jewelers loop it looks fine, has anyone got any ideas, ive tried it several times now and im a little lost.

Thanks for your help folks.

Steve

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

I apply extremely light pressure for the micro-bevel and use alternating strokes. Edge leading. Do you use the same technique?

Steve
    Participant

Yes mate I use the same method

dulledge
    Participant

Did you clean your stones?

Try to make the same bevel and micro-bevel on another 3rd knife.

Steve
    Participant

think I’ve got it sussesed matey.   Tried it last night with my PM2 and Native 5 both with S30v and S35VN steel.  I think because this steel is ,ugh harder the VG10 it takes longer to form a sharp Micro bevel. I first tried 10 stokes per side and felt the edge…..not very good, tried another 10 strokes Nd it was better, tried 20 another 20 and it was better, did a load more and it was spot on, lightly stropped a few times and the both came out like a razor.  Will see how it goes pal.

thanks

steve

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

After that many strokes, I’m surprised that there’s anything left of the 15 deg. bevel.  But then, I never do any bevels below 17 dps, so maybe my frame of reference is skewed.

When I create a microbevel, I first will complete the polishing of the main bevel.  Then I do three very light alternating strokes with my 1000s on each side.

Is it possible that you never actually reached the apex with the 15 dps bevels?  That would force you to work your 1000s longer to reach the apex (achieve a sharp state).

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Tom’s right, it should only take a few passes to be razor sharp and form your micro if you already have a sharp edge at 15. Shouldn’t take any more than 10. Seems like you probably didn’t have the 15 dps edge formed properly would be my guess…

dulledge
    Participant

If Steve didn’t reach apex at 15, then edge would’t be sharp at 15. Steve said edge was sharp at 15 and got dull after micro at 20. Sounds like impossible thing, but it is what he said.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If Steve didn’t reach apex at 15, then edge would’t be sharp at 15. Steve said edge was sharp at 15 and got dull after micro at 20. Sounds like impossible thing, but it is what he said.

Agreed.  The facts seem to conflict.  My guess is that something went out of whack during the switch to the micro bevel angle.  I’ve had a micro-adjust come loose and change the angle with every stroke.

Or we could have a case of the 1000 stones not being broken in.  I wouldn’t try creating a microbevel with new stones.  The “teeth” it’d produce would be quite coarse and the edge could easily be judged as dull.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.