Advanced Search

Market Lapping Film Differences

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

You and others make this forum worth reading and posting.

Thanks for saying so… I must say that like you,  I’m just reading, researching, and experimenting with what I find.  I have learned a lot from others and now I have a desire  to collaborate, contribute, and see what others are doing with techniques discussed on this forum.   The tools we have now to sharpen are just amazing, however, in the end they are just tools.  The techniques and processes we all use to get that perfect edge are what makes the end results scary sharp and exciting.  I guess this is just a part of the journey. 

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

One followup on the purpose of this post.  “SILICON CARBIDE”!!!  I have been researching this compound of Silicon and Carbon since I found out what the lapping film sub-strait was from Ben and it’s amazing.  We need to look at it closer as a community for it’s polishing characteristics.  I have used it for lapping stones in powder form (It looks like graphite) and I have some polishing tapes with it.   It is used in light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and in  Graphene production (Graphite).  I mentioned the Mylar electrostatic bag “hue” I was seeing in a previous post.  Because it has similar characteristics of Graphite, that explains the color difference I have seen.   This stuff in “natural form” (Moissan) is only found in Meteorites that came from space (Look up Canyon Diablo Meteorite in Arizona).   I think  it is very different and shows unique polishing characteristics that I would like others to try and comment on.  It is showing lapping action that I haven’t seen with the diamond films and based on Kyle’s response above, it’s not like the Aluminum Oxide either.  I have some Aluminum Oxide lapping films from WE on the way and will need to see this for myself, however, Kyle was very thorough in his reporting so I have no doubt my results will be the same.

At this point, I am not focusing on the sharping as much as the “polishing action” I am seeing.   I need others to try the SILICON CARBIDE lapping film and report what they observe.  I can’t decide it is better without a second opinion  but it’s promising.  It performs differently and faster from my observation.  You can get similar or equal results with the Diamond lapping films.  However, the end result with SILICON CARBIDE  is unique, was easier to accomplish, and used less steps in my experimentation with it.   The grit sizes (I admit) are still in question. Like TCMEYER, I am frustrated trying to figure out the mess the abrasive industry has created.   The data I have on grit size is contradictory (See Previous Charts posted in this thread).  But maybe not.  If grit size or particle deposition is being referenced in one chart and polishing result is being represented in the other.  The two may not be equal.  One way of measurement is mathematical and mechanical and the other is subjective.  What do you think?

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Eddie, am I correct in assuming the 6K gives this special polish you talk about? I write this since the 2K and the 6K are made of silicon carbide (so you wrote), but I assume the effect of the 2K silicon carbide will be largely undone by the 3K alu oxide, so I assume. (Silicon carbide is not that uncommon in synthetic whetstones, by the way. I think it is the abrasive in Shapton stones.)

I guess I could order some 6K polish paper, provided they don’t ask crazy shipping prices for Europe.

Interesting system, incidentally, this Veff. Might give some inspiration to other makers of sharpening gear .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

From the 1000 K ultra fine WE Stone you will see a difference immediately with the 2k tape and it gets better with the 3k and 6k just like the Diamond lapping film.  The end result is showed in my photo.  The word “special” isn’t accurate, “unique” is better.  The biggest benefit is less work and possibly less cost.  How the Silicon Carbide does it is a topic of discussion once it is observed.   Also, I have the Shapton glass  stones 8K, 16K and 30K from Chef Knives to go.  In comparison, the polishing tapes ( in my opinion) are better.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

I guess I could order some 6K polish paper, provided they don’t ask crazy shipping prices for Europe.

Mark, you can just as easily buy them in the Netherlands at knives & tools or http://www.messen.nl/edge-pro-6000-grit-polish-tape.html

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Frans!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tactical Texture LLC
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 21

@Kyle,

Since this is the only thread I’ve seen comparing the scratch pattern of the lapping film to leather, would it be possible to add the 5 micron diamond paste on a BALSA strop to this already stellar experiment?

It seems like just the medium of the strop can make a big difference, and the test that you did is absolutely incredible in that you not only measured what we can see, but the actual performance as well.

Great job!

Tactical Texture LLC
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 21

@Eddie,

Great job of getting Silicon Carbide on our radar!

I was wondering if the 6K Sic strips would be a great finish after the new 1500 grit diamonds?  I have some supplies coming soon, but if anyone else gets a chance to try out that combo I would love to hear (and see!) the results!

Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

No problem. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow or early next week. We just got some samples of Silicon Carbide Films in so I’ll test them and the balsa at the same.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.