Advanced Search

Lasting Scratches

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

I recently have started filing or scrubbing the cutting edge(90 deg. to the blade) on a lot of the knives that I see. Most of the knives that I get are severely worn and with some kind of damaged edge, what’s left of them.

I do the same. My 90 deg / perpendicular to the knife filing or scrubbing is with the length of the knife heel to tip to heel. I think it keeps the edge smoother and puts less stress on the apex of a thin hard steel knife. That’s probably exactly what everyone is doing also. Just wanted to put it in writing for anyone else that might not employ this technique to discard damaged worn metal on the edge.

Hey guys, anyone know where those edge trailing vs edge leading results photos are? From the videos i’ve seen, Clay looks like he’s running handle to tip edge trailing?

just so i’ve got this right:

edge trailing, stone movement is away from the knife spine (regardless of stone direction tip-handle or opposite etc).

edge leading, stone movement is towards the knife spine (again regardless of direction along edge by stone).

so cereal boxes are just used to mount the lapping film on, or are you actually polishing with cereal box material too? Anyone got a video of this? Do you glue or double sided tape films to the box?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Just so i’ve got this right: Edge Trailing: stone movement is away from the knife spine (regardless of stone direction tip-handle or opposite etc). Edge Leading: stone movement is towards the knife spine (again regardless of direction along edge by stone). So cereal boxes are just used to mount the lapping film on, or are you actually polishing with cereal box material too? Anyone got a video of this? Do you glue or double sided tape films to the box?

Nicko, you’re correct on your understanding of edge leading and edge trailing, it has to do with the stone movement in relation to the spine or apex. Leading>> down towards apex and spine, Trailing>>up and off the apex away from the spine.

I believe, if I understood him correctly,  Snecx tapes the cereal box (thin) cardboard, cut into strips, to a stone, strop or some other WE paddle then he applies a diamond containing polishing paste, diamond spray or diamond emulsion to the cardboard and he uses that cardboard paddle like it was a strop of sorts.  I believe he gets the stropping affect with very little compression or give like you would with leather strops.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I use a wide variety of stroke directions. When I’m profiling the bevels I often use a scrubbing motion. Once I’ve apexed the blade, I go to alternating strokes, usually edge trailing, heel to tip with one grit, then do the opposite with the next grit to help me see where there are remaining scratches. The last bunch of strokes I do with a solid stone are usually edge leading, heel to tip to lay in the “rake angle” and get the best edge. With strops and lapping films, I always use edge trailing strokes.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

I use a wide variety of stroke directions. When I’m profiling the bevels I often use a scrubbing motion. Once I’ve apexed the blade, I go to alternating strokes, usually edge trailing, heel to tip with one grit, then do the opposite with the next grit to help me see where there are remaining scratches. The last bunch of strokes I do with a solid stone are usually edge leading, heel to tip to lay in the “rake angle” and get the best edge. With strops and lapping films, I always use edge trailing strokes.

Thanks Clay, watching some of your videos again, you’re just too damn fast 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.