Advanced Search

Lapping film: Diamone, Aluminum oxide, Silicon carbide, Silicon Dioxide ????

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Lapping film: Diamone, Aluminum oxide, Silicon carbide, Silicon Dioxide ????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

I have the WE diamond lapping films and I am impressed with what they can do.  But they are pricey.  I have found cheaper alternatives but with the other coatings.  What are the differences between them and the diamond?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The aluminum oxide films that WE sells will give very similar results to the diamond films, but it will require a greater number of strokes to accomplish. As a result of the greater number of strokes needed, the aluminum oxide films will not last through as many sharpening sessions as the diamond films.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The longevity, ease of cutting and improved polishing ability of the diamond film may out-weigh the initial higher expense of the diamond VS Aluminum Oxide or Silicon carbide films.  Especially when working with the newer harder special steels some knives are made with, now.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Serge
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

I tried Al-O, with the same grit as diamonds. Diamonds are better. Al-O is getting filled with metal fast and it is virtually impossible to clean. With diamonds, all you need is wipe it with some alcohol. Diamonds last way longer than Al-O. So I would estimate, cost of use is approximately the same.

PS: Diamonds are expensive. I went to a quest to obtain a cheap films, only to find out – there is no such thing. Lowest price I got was $42 per 9″x11″ sheet (28 strips) $1.5 per strip. It’s bit cheaper than WE version, but it require some hoops jumping to get and you have to cut it.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Until you buy a less expensive diamond lapping film, cut it and use it, you really don’t know what you’re getting. You don’t know how easily they’ll cut, how well they’ll stick and stay put, and how well they’ll wear.  The Wicked Edge product is proven and consistent and you know what you’re getting!  Usually I find I get what I pay for.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

Someone put me on to a place that sells lapping film.  I bought a bunch of of the diamond film 8 1/2 x 11″ (you can get 20 strips off it).  Its about 4 times cheaper but you have to cut your own strips.  Or you can get the non-psa backed sheets that are about 6 times cheaper than WE.  I only used them on one sharpening and they seem to work a bit better than the WE.  The .1 micon did seem to add scratches (or maybe they were there already)… but I experienced the same thing on the .5micron WE diamond film  (again may have nothing to do with the film).  So I do not know how many sharpenings they are good for.   if they do not last more than a few sharpenings then maybe they are not a good deal…. but so far so good.  I can provide the name of the place if you pm me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.