Advanced Search

Knife Decision Help

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Knife Decision Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kpromero
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 26

hello all and would like some input if possible? Want to get another EDC knife and currently own a Spyderco Delica 4 with VG-10 steel.

These are what i am thinking on purchasing and would like to see what you would go with if not on my list and why.

Spyderco Delica 4 with ZDP-189

Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 with CPM-S30V

Sypderco Military with CPM-S30V steel i believe

BenchMade 940 Osborne with S30V

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I was bitten with the Spyderco bug early on and my first knife was a delica.  If it was to have a front finger choil it would be hands down the most carried knife I had.  Light weight, medium duty, feels good in hand.

After that a very very good friend actually gave me a Paramilitary II in exchange for sharpening work etc…It quickly became a favorite in my pocket.  Its a tiny bit bigger then I need for an EDC but you feel very prepared when carrying.

Have you considered the Manix?  Its on my personal short list:http://www.bladehq.com/item–Spyderco-Manix-2-Knife-Dark-Blue–23409

The blade is a bit on the wider side(leaf shape?) similar to the Sage 2 that I also own and love to carry.

Should be said that Benchmade is also well loved.  I looked at a mini griptillian a while back and decided for $100 Id rather buy a Spydy 😛

L-R:  8Cr13MoV Grasshopper, ZDP-189 Dragonfly, S30V Sage 2, Damascus Delica, S30V Para II, VG10 Endura. Top:  Lil Matriarch w/ custom scales.</span>

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve owned both the Benchmade 940 and the Paramilitary. Both are great knives, but I couldn’t get used to the compression lock of the Paramilitary. And the Benchmade was a bit too… ordinary. If Spyderco ever make a Paramilitary with a liner lock, I’ll be the first to get it. And yes, it was a stupid reason to get rid of the Benchmade. I must get a Benchmade again…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I often carry the Manix 2 and really like it. It’s the one in my pocket now. I have it in CTS-BD30P, which I’m not sure if they’re using anymore. It holds up about as well as S30V. For an EDC, I’d look for something in the S90V, M4 or M390. There are a few others that would be good bets, but these three steels have great wear resistance which is important to me in an EDC. I like the Manix’s ease of blade deployment, slim profile and blade shape, including a very pointy tip. I also like the jimping and finger choils. I used this knife a lot in my recent home remodel and it held up really well.

-Clay

kpromero
    Participant

ZDP-189 is more durable than S30V right? How well do any of these knives sharpen with the WES as far as setting them up with ease? Looks like more like the Manix 2 and will have to look into this?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I haven’t found a steel yet that is overly difficult to sharpen on the Wicked Edge. I like ZDP-189 though the knives I’ve used have tended to be a little on the brittle side because they were hardened to such a high level and chip some. I don’t mean to dis the steel at all, it’s really good, but for an EDC, I prefer something a little tougher and less brittle. Now that you mention it, I have a Kershaw Blur in ZDP-189 that I really like and may pull out again just to compare it to some other steels. 🙂

Kershaw Blur

Kershaw Blur

I’m curious what steels others prefer for EDCs. Please chime in if you have an opinion.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here’s my Manix:

Spyderco Manix 2

Spyderco Manix 2

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here is my new Benchmade 484 Nakamura in S90V that I’m just starting to carry a little:

Benchmade 484 Nakamura

Benchmade 484 Nakamura

I haven’t sharpened it yet though it was sharpened on an Edge Pro to 16k on Shapton stones by the previous owner. He’s since picked up a Wicked Edge 🙂 He did do a great job using the EP though.

-Clay

kpromero
    Participant

WOW really nice knives. Curious about the types of steel also that are really great for EDC and hold a sharp edge for a long time.

My Delica 4 has VG-10 but i find it gets dull quickly and i have it set to 20 degree angle.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here’s the pool from which I pick a knife to carry:

Collection of EDC Knives

Collection of EDC Knives

Considerations are:

1) What appeals in the moment
    2) Weight/Size/Thickness (based on if I’m in jeans or other pants/shorts)
    3) Concerns of losing the knife (I lost a Chris Reeve Umnumzan once, came out of my pocket in the woods)
    4) Where I’m going/what I’m doing that day

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here’s a little poll I created asking about favorite steels for EDC knives:

https://poll.fbapp.io/embed/best-steel-for-edc-knives?api=3.3.3

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Can I borrow one of those Hinderers? 😉 That ZT is also a great knife. And the Blur… is currently my EDC. I must get one in ZDP-189! Where did you get it? I cannot find it at the usual suspects.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Can I borrow one of those Hinderers? ? That ZT is also a great knife. And the Blur… is currently my EDC. I must get one in ZDP-189! Where did you get it? I cannot find it at the usual suspects.

Do you remember Curtis (CBW34)? He gave me the Blur. I’m not sure where he picked it up.

-Clay

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Wow at the knives posted, Nice!

Might be intresting to start a post about why folks like a certian blade steel over another for EDC to go along with the poll. Then again, I cant commit to a monogamos realitonship with any one knife or blade steel for that matter, but I have become partial to Elmax.

Mark76
    Participant

Do you remember Curtis (CBW34)? He gave me the Blur. I’m not sure where he picked it up.

It must be a forum thing 😀 . Curtis gave me a Leek and Josh reprofiled/regrounded my Blur.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.