Advanced Search

jewelers loupe or usb microscope

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started jewelers loupe or usb microscope

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I’ve been sharpening with a WE PP2 for a few years.  I don’t sharpen daily and sometimes not even weekly but I do several knives each month.   So I shouldn’t have such an elementary question but here goes.  From you-alls many great posts I recognize the importance of making sure the previous stone scratches always be removed.  In order to do so you need to be able to get a good visual of the edge.  I’ve tried using a 60 power loupe but it is so awkward, meaning by face has to be right next to the blade and the angle needs to be just so. Anyway, you all know what I’m talking about.  Is there a jewelers loupe or usb microscope that would make examining edge scratch marks fairly easy for an old guy with challenging eyesight. With this small loupe I have it’s frustrating enough that I easy discourage from trying to look and just try to go by feel.  Well, I’ not good enough at this to do that yet so I’m hoping for some helpful direction.  Thanks for you help.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Some of the distinguished gentleman on this forum prefer to use a USB Microscope connected to a computer/computer monitor.  I find it much easier to use myself.  A loupe  is great when I am on the road but when I am at my bench, I use a USB Microscope exclusively.  Tom Meyer (TCMEYER) posted this video which you may find very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5zYbCpLwcQ   I have both a cheap “Chinese Like” USB scope like TCMEYER and a more expensive Dino Lite.  I use the cheap one most  of the time  while the knife is in the WE vise just like TCMEYER.  If you find this helpful, please let me know.

Source One-Amazon:  Click Here

Source Two- Sunrise Dino (Dino Light Distributor): Click Here

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m an old guy and I need the microscope. You really only need to remove scratches if your goal is to achieve a mirror finish.  However, you need to remove every nick and ding in the edge to achieve a perfect edge.  Thanks to M1rrorEdge for the reference.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

I also find this edge tester very helpful.  (Click Here).   It allows me to safely “Feel” the edge.  Tactilely you can sense any damage on the edge as your are sharpening.  The end cap of a sharpy marker works pretty well too.  I have included a attachment with the detail on how to conduct the tests.the_edge_tester

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

For inspecting whether all scratches from a previous grit stone have been removed, I use this. It’s often called a loupe, but technically a microscope. I don’t know if this is the one you use as well and don’t like. In that case you could of course use a real jeweler’s loupe, but at 60x I suspect it will be quite expensive and not be much more user-friendly than the loupe I referrered to.

You could also use a USB-microscope. This works well, but takes a bit more time. Time to set up (you need a computer) and time to use (at a magnification of 200-400x you’ll see only a very small portion of the edge at one time).

If your goal is just checking whether the edge doesn’t contain any nicks/dents, the tester MirrorEdge referred to works well (or alternatively: a plastic pen) or even cutting a piece of copy paper.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Automatic focus stacking feature looks very useful. Unfortunately prices are too high for Dino-Lite Edge models that have Extended Depth – EDOF . Sigh. 

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Automatic focus stacking feature looks very useful. Unfortunately prices are too high for Dino-Lite Edge models that have Extended Depth – EDOF . Sigh.

EDOF isn’t needed for sharpening but is used to produce great photos for sharing, publishing, or printing.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

dulledge
    Participant

For inspecting whether all scratches from a previous grit stone have been removed, I use this. It’s often called a loupe, but technically a microscope.

I didn’t use the loupe that Mark is using yet, but I ordered it today in a version that have a clip to attach it to smartphone. In theory it should work like USB microscope. No need to position your face near edge, just look at the phone screen. I’ll report back when I receive it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

Automatic focus stacking feature looks very useful. Unfortunately prices are too high for Dino-Lite Edge models that have Extended Depth – EDOF . Sigh.

EDOF isn’t needed for sharpening but is used to produce great photos for sharing, publishing, or printing.

You are right. EDOF can be used only when taking a snapshot. But I don’t have to save the picture. Just glance at the snapshot and go to next spot. But with EDOF you can see the whole edge in focus. Wouldn’t it be nice? I am not arguing with you, just curious.

DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

This is why I love this forum and the great people on it.  Always quick and very helpful information.  Ill be ordering some of this stuff tonight and start my look for an old unused computer/monitor.  Thanks to you all and have a great Thanksgiving.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I used my USB Microscope with my Android Samsung cell phone with a USB adaptor, (USB on-the go “OTG” adaptor) before I got a computer. I downloaded a USB Microscope app from the Google Play Store for free. Worked fine.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dulledge
    Participant

I didn’t use the loupe that Mark is using yet, but I ordered it today in a version that have a clip to attach it to smartphone. In theory it should work like USB microscope. No need to position your face near edge, just look at the phone screen. I’ll report back when I receive it.

I tried loupe with smartphone and I didn’t like this combination. The same loupe has much better clarity and larger field of view when used without phone. Another very annoying thing is that phone Autofocus is constantly working and constantly makes image in and out of focus. If you need to make a picture, then this combination could be OK, but I will not use it for looking at blade.

I bought 2 loupes from different brands: Neon and Neewer. Neon has terrible light switch that is hard to turn because fingers slip. The switch is malfunctioning all the time. Neon light switch is rear side of part with LED. Neewer light switch is black stick near LED.  Neewer light switch is convenient and works fine. Also Neewer seems to be more clear just a bit. These loupes are sold under many brands,  just pay attention where the light switch is located.

Marc H

Dulledge: I came across when looking for something else. I used a similar setup until I got a small laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/JZHY-20x-800x-Microscope-Magnification-Endoscope/dp/B01DIRJ3VS/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1480347319&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+microscope+OTG

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dulledge
    Participant

Dulledge: I came across when looking for something else. I used a similar setup until I got a small laptop. https://www.amazon.com/JZHY-20x-800x-Microscope-Magnification-Endoscope/dp/B01DIRJ3VS/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1480347319&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+microscope+OTG

Could you post a picture of edge from this microscope? It has low resolution 640 x 480. That is 0.3 MP.

Marc H

Could you post a picture of edge from this microscope? It has low resolution 640 x 480. That is 0.3 MP.

I have a couple different mscopes, not this exact model. I just had seen this and when I read your post I thought it might fit your needs. I can post pictures later from my microscope if you’re interested. Mine is higher resolution. There are several higher resolution inexpensive models at Amazon and the OTG cable is very inexpensive also. I used the scope with the OTG adapter on my phone for quite a while and it worked great. I switched to the laptop because I found a small inexpensive Windows PC with separate USB and charging ports so I could leave the microscope on and connected while the computer was plugged to A/C adapter. With the model microscope I had the phone and the scope both stayed on and illuminated as long as the scope was plugged into the phone. I didn’t like that I couldn’t use the mscope while charging the phone simultaneously, at least not the model phone I had. There are some model phones that you can buy a “Host” adapter that allows you to charge the phone and use an USB device simultaneously.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.