Advanced Search

I need a Veho usb microscope stand

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos I need a Veho usb microscope stand

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I looked further into these stands on Dino’s website and found an almost perfect one for our needs. It is the BigC Dino-Lite #MS36BE Table Top Boom Stand.

It has a long arm that allows up to 10″ of horizontal adjustment, as well as the vertical adjustment up to 8″ (with a fine adjustment). It allows full rotational adjustment of the scope 360 degrees in vertical and horizontal axis. The only possible problem I see is that the fine adjustment is apparently only in the vertical axis, like the less expensive model #MS34B-R2 that I showed in my post. We might also need a horizontal fine adjustment to focus on the blade edge while the knife is in the WEPS vise. I don’t understand why they didn’t design this stand with a horizontal fine adjustment, too. Maybe the vertical fine adjustment will work OK for our situation if the scope is at a 45 degree angle to the blade edge while the knife is in the vise, I just don’t know. It sells on Amazon.com for $199.00.

I got in that stand yesterday. And even though it is a lot cheaper in Europe than in the USA, I didn’t think I would keep it. I just got it to play around with it. But then I saw the huge improvement in the quality of pictures I made with the knife still in the WEPS! So I decided to keep the stand.

This stand is not the answer to all microscope holder prayers. Particularly if you don’t have a steady hand, you might still have some problems with it. The reason is that to make good photographs (at least with my Veho 400x), the microscope needs to be on top of the edge. It is very hard/impossible to do that using the vertical fine adjustment only.

The way I use this stand is as follows. I put the microscope in the holder at for example a 45 degree angle and then set about the correct height. (So the microscope will display the edge of the knife.) I then press the microscope gently against the knife and focus the microscope. (This is still somewhat fiddly, since there is not only horizontal play in the system, but also some vertical play due to the fact that the horizontal arm is so long.) Then I can take my first photograph.

But now the great part comes. I can simply push the microscope away (in the horizontal plane) and start sharpening. When I want to take a new picture, I simply move in the microscope again. It is already focused, at the same angle where it was when I took the previous photograph (so the light reflection is similar – quite important) and is directed at about the same spot where the previous photograph was taken. So the photographs are really consistent!

Here is my setup.

I am now redoing all the photographs I took for my stropping experiments with the WE pastes. (So I have do redo the stropping and some sharpening as well.) That is just as good, because the results I got were very surprising and they ask to be repeated for confirmation :D. I hope to post the photographs tomorrow.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Very nice! I need to look into that stand as well.

-Clay

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

I got that microscope stand and tried it for a day but I sent it back. I just couldn’t make it work any better than what I was already using. The long arm was not as stable as I had hoped and it moved too much. Also it didn’t have a fine adjustment on the horizontal plane, so it didn’t do what I wanted it to do. Maybe you will have better luck and make it work for you. Let us know.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The photographs I made using the microscope in this new stand are on my blog[/url].

Just compare them I to the photographs I made for the posts on convexing edges[/url] to see the difference.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.