Advanced Search

I love gloves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cjb80202
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 33

I just signed up for slingtv, and for the first time in years I have access to Monday Night Football. So this week, I decided to mix my pleasures, watching the game while sharpening knives AND drinking a beer.

The reason I felt comfortable multi-tasking like this is that I wore my cut-proof safety gloves. I sharpened about 6 kitchen knives over the course of an hour.

My takeaway is that I really liked wearing the gloves while I sharpened, and I didn’t notice any downside.

I’m curious if others have an opinion on whether to, or not, wear gloves while sharpening.

Here are my gloves, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9LM8GU/

2017-09-22_07-07-28

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have bought Kevlar gloves. They work well against slicing. But don’t try stabbing with them (which you probably won’t with a Wicked Edge), because… See https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/554/. I don’t use them a lot, by the way, because I don’t like sharpening with gloves on. Less feeling.

But when you watch tv at the same (and drink beer 🙂 ), wearing gloves doesn’t sound like a bad idea. To me, sharpening is/should be a Zen-like experience, so I don’t watch tv at the same time and don’t even listen to music.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I tried using gloves for a while.  I always employ scrubbing strokes and edge leading strokes when sharpening.  After cutting myself several times and finally cutting the very tip of my left ring finger clean off,  I had to do something to prevent a more severe accidents.

First I tried Kevlar Cut resistant Kitchen Gloves since I already had these.  They were just too thick and bulky.  I didn’t have the feel I wanted when I wore these.  I then started using these Ansel Hyflex Cut Protection Gloves and I also tried some others along the same idea.  This style fits tightly and allows for much better feel.

I ran into several issues.  The gloves are just a little wide and bulky on my fingers.  I noticed every now and then I would bump the knife edge as I moved the WE Paddle across the bevel.  Each bump was a cut I dodged because I was wearing these gloves!  So yes the gloves did do their job…well.  I found my self having to remove the gloves, often, to check my edge for sharpening progress and then having to put them back on.  This was too time consuming, for me and a bit of a struggle seeing how tightly this style glove fits.

Finally I came up with the idea of these “Safety Shields”.

Finger-Position

I made a prototype and I liked them.  They did everything I wanted.  I haven’t cut myself since that day while sharpening a knife with the WE.  I shared my “safety mod” on this Forum and Clay responded that they just added a very similar concept safety product to the Wicked Edge Website.  I have not worn gloves again while sharpening knives.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    cjb80202
    Participant

For the zen of sharpening, I get it, it is that type of activity. The reality of my life right now is a bit different, with young kids and a DIY bathroom remodel – I pretty much have to mix my pleasures in the little spare time I get each night.

For gloves vs shields, I have used the WE shields a couple times. They do make me feel safer (they’re legitimate). But the gloves feel like less hassle to me. I don’t use my fingernails or fingers to check the blade for a burr, I use the edge of a paper towel or q-tip, to see if it snags. So I like being able just to pick up the next set of stones and get right to it, instead of moving the shields.

I’m also kind of a mediocre sharpener. I’m trying to get better, but I’m definitely on the low end, just to calibrate everyone to my level. (◦’ںˉ◦)

cjb80202
    Participant

2017-09-22_09-25-28

Here’s an example of being a mediocre sharpener; my stroke is hitting the front edge of the blade.

Attachments:
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Just placed an order on Amazon for these exact gloves.  Looking forward to trying them out.

Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Those shields seem like something I could use. But I guess I first have to cut myself properly once 🙂 . In all those years (I think I am in my sixth year of using my WE – my first blog post is from February 2012) I have managed to never cut myself.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.