Advanced Search

Thoughts on scissor attachment?

Recent Forums Main Forum Thoughts on scissor attachment?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey guys.  What are your thoughts of the new scissor attachment?  Pros, cons, specific issues with certain types of scissors?  Preference of stones to use?

Please tell me your thoughts.

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve done about a dozen scissors on mine.  I’ve found that scissors which cannot be disassembled are a bit awkward to deal with, but are not a show-stopper.

I also found that scissors which have edge angles close to perpendicular are a real problem.  In my case, these were the short scissors used by medical people to cut bandages and such – the ones with the blunt point on the bottom blade.  I was able to sharpen them, but not at their original angle.  A solution would be to have the clamping jaws angle adjustable.

I was a little dubious about removing the burr by cycling the scissors after sharpening, but it seems to work well.

I used the same stones I’d use on a knife blade – it depends on the degree of damage which needs to be dealt with.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I to have done a dozen or so scissors and like tc stated the ones that can’t be taken apart are awkward. I take a rubber band to hold them open while sharpening.

On the angle I have used the low angle adapter in the scissor attachment to move it away from the vise and can sharpen the angles that you can’t do with the scissor attachment alone.

I usually only go to 600 grit on most scissors but on the ones used for hair and really fine materials 1000 is probably appropriate. I to cycle the scissors to remove the burr and it has worked very well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey guys,

I haven’t got a scissor attachment, but I’d like to know why it is necessary to keep it open? My scissors don’t close out of themselves. Also, why do you use the low angle adapter? I haven’t tested it, but I’d say most of my scissors have not been sharpened lower than 25 degrees per side.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

sksharp
    Participant

Some scissors that I’ve done don’t stay open on the own that’s the reason for the rubber band to hold them open and keep the other arm of the scissors out of the way because there is a burr on the blade after sharpening and it will cut you if you run up against it.

There are certain scissors that have a very perpendicular grind and you can’t move the arms in far enough to sharpen at their original angle using just the scissor attachment by its self. By putting the low angle adapter in the scissor attachment you move the scissors out away from the vise so you can sharpen at the angle they were originally. Only ran into this twice. The paper trimmers for example are ground at around 10 deg. from perpendicular so you can’t sharpen the blade unless you move it out from the vise or grind it to a different angle. If you were to put those blades directly into your vise the angle would be about 80 deg.

The scissor attachment works well on its own for most scissors, but there are a lot of different types of scissors out there.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Peter Lai
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

I am tempted to add the scissor attachment to a current order but will wait until further design changes to come along without the need of using the low angle adaptor.

DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I agree Peter. I’ve been watching the WE store for weeks now while thinking about adding the scissor attachment to my arsenal but it’s been ” out of stock” .  I’m hoping the delay in “restocking” is because of some redesign issues being worked out.  I’m anxious to see what they come up with  (and excited to purchase one) if in-fact they are “fixing” some of the concerns that have been voiced. Hopefully WE personnel are monitoring this and can give an update on their plans for the scissor attachment.  One thing I can attest to (from personal past experience)  is that their customer service and response is superb.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We are working on a little bit of a redesign for it to allow for more angles. What other issues have been noted other than the interference with the front screw?

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

I am tempted to add the scissor attachment to a current order but will wait until further design changes to come along without the need of using the low angle adaptor.

Hello peter,

The scissor attachment has worked very well for me on all but 2 pairs (1 being paper slicer blades) and then sticking the LAA in the attachment allowed me to do those at their original angle as well. I need the LAA adapter anyway so it didn’t cost me any more, just another way of using it. Can’t imagine not being able to do any scissors that I run into but….never say never. LOL

2 users thanked author for this post.
    DeeR
    Participant

I see that the scissor attachment is back in stock and I’m wanting to order one but I’m curious as to what design adjustments have been made.  Does anyone have any insight on any adjustments that were made?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

Waiting to see what changes they have made and hope they offer a discount for the ones that already have the attachment.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I see that the scissor attachment is back in stock and I’m wanting to order one but I’m curious as to what design adjustments have been made. Does anyone have any insight on any adjustments that were made?

We changed from a single lower flange to three flanges so that you can adjust the position of the attachment to sharpen a much wider variety of scissor angles.

WESA-Multi-Position

-Clay

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    DeeR
    Participant

Thanks Clay. Got them and anxious to start using them.  Looks like a great improvement.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Thanks Clay. Got them and anxious to start using them. Looks like a great improvement.

Thanks DeeR.  I’m thinking about getting one of these.  Let us know your thoughts after you’ve used it some.

Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, that looks like a good improvement. I’m considering it 🙂 .

It’s a little bit off-topic, but could you tell us Clay how you make the images like the one of the scissor attachment? They look great and are very clear. But I cannot work out how they are made: they’re a bit too smooth for a straight photograph, but (I think) too realistic for a completely artificial image.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.