Advanced Search

How many different sharpening devices do you own?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business How many different sharpening devices do you own?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

As you know, the Ken Onion edition of the Worksharp is a belt sander.  When I do use the Ken Onion, I use it with the Ken Onion Belt attachment. The niche where it fits is for sharpening things like hatchets, axes and survival type knives where quite a bit of metal needs to be removed.  In other words, I like the Ken Onion belt attachment when I want to quickly put a slight beveled grind on the blade.  The slight bevel is just an outcome of the deflection of the belt against the knife….. sort of like a leather strop.  I know a beveled edge can be done with the WEP as I have done it a few times.  However, the belt sharpener is much quicker.  With the Ken Onion belt attachment – while there is an alignment reference guide – you are sharpening free hand.  So, less precision and it is easy to remove lots of metal quickly.  I found that with both the basic Worksharp and the Ken Onion edition, when inserting the knife into the angle guides, they kind of have a sweet spot for the size of the knife they will work on – not too thick, not to small, etc.  The Tormec does not put a beveled grind on the blade.  Some my argue it puts a hollow grind on the blade because of the round wheel.  However, for all practical purposes, where the blade meets the stone, it is a flat grind.  I do not care for the Tormec axe/hatchet holder.  So, that is my two cents.  The WEP sees about 90% of my sharpened tools.  I especially like the ability to put on a primary and secondary bevel and that kind of precision can only be done in a repeatable way on the WEP.  Now, I am experimenting with using the Tormec for the primary bevel and the WEP for the secondary bevel when I encounter a knife needing a resharpen for the first time.  Also, I plan on experimenting with the Tormec on some of my good knives once the secondary bevel eventually wears done from resharpening to the point that the secondary bevel performed on the WEP is gone.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

And there you have it folks!  If you don’t have one, buy one!  Wicked Edge.  And if you have one, you may want to buy a 2nd one!

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I now use the AMK-75 (Click Here for Link) for re-profile work and repairs followed by the Wicked Edge for polishing and perfecting the edge.  Because the AMK-75  has a adjustable speed control and the modern “structured” abrasives available on the market don’t heat up as quick as the old abrasives, this has become a great combination without the burdens of heat damage, the use of messy cooling water, and stone wheel truing issues.  I believe that the AMK-75 and the Wicked Edge are a Synergistic mating of absolute perfection.  I also use the CATRA Focused Goniometer Mk2  (Click here for link) for quick edge angle identification.  I can now repair a badly damaged knife and sharpen it to better than factory perfection in under five minutes .   In the commercial business, Time is money!  Yes, it is true CATRA also produces a pull through sharpener that functions with CBN coated interlocking grinding wheels.  I prefer the Tru Hone (Click here for link) over the CATRA system (Click here for link) for it’s “on the fly” angle adaptability, cost, and proven reliability.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jumpstat
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

I started out with a Spyderco Sharpamaker. Easy to use, satisfactory results albeit time consuming if you need to reprofile and edge. Then I bought a basic WE system and add the angle cube, 1200/1600 ceramics, 5/3.5 & 1.0/0.5microns leather strops. Very happy with the results, and my folders do stay sharp longer. Easy to setup and replicate results with the WE system. I still use the sharpmaker especially whenever I am outdoors activities as it is much easier to bring along. There are belt sanders etc available here but for me the WE system/sharpmaker is more than adequate for my needs.

Willis68
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32

The 2 Best Sharpening systems in the World, my Wicked Edge Gen 3 and my Tormek T8

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I started with a smiths I saw at Wal-mart, quickly went to a lansky, and wound up with the best, in my mind, the Wicked Edge.

I hand strop for maintenance. Stropman is the best I’ve found and it’s quicker than I thought it would be.

I am, like you, obsessed with the Idea of the so called “PERFECT” edge, knowing that it’s a quest without resolution.

I am going to purchase a powered system in the future, just not sure which one. For speed only, not to satisfy my obsession.

sksharp
    Participant

I to was going to purchase the Gen 3 , but decided to go with the WE130 instead.

Mainly because of the versatility of the 130, ie asymmetrical grinds and such, I also didn’t like the height of the gen 3, all though I do see the advantages of the gen 3 as well. Just came down to personal preference.

Great photo

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Don’t know if this has been posted on here before or not. Check out this Russian made knife sharpener.

Ill stick with my WEPS!

http://www.tsprof.com/description.php?lang=rus

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Don’t know if this has been posted on here before or not. Check out this Russian made knife sharpener. Ill stick with my WEPS! http://www.tsprof.com/description.php?lang=rus <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/LoYCzRaJSns?feature=oembed&#8221; width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Yes, I am familiar with this system. I considered purchasing one before I pulled the trigger on the wicked edge. There were several concerns I had with the system that steered me away from it. It is in the same price range as the wicked edge products, but the wicked edge systems have much better support and a broader range of abrasives available.

sksharp
    Participant

That is the most convoluted machine I’ve ever seen. Could you possibly make it more complicated? Organic, good choice, the beauty of the WEPS, in my mind at least, is the simplicity of design and the quality of the machine. Good choice on not buying that!

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

Very few products, have I purchased, that after 6 months I still know I made the right decision.  Page after page, review after review, I can’t find anyone who has said the Wicked Edge is second to anything.  Some like other products maybe for a specific thing, but it seems as a consensus , nothing makes a knife sharper than the wicked edge.  No one has even posted anything that makes me second guess my decision.

Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

I have a lansky, same limitations as organic posted, good description.

I have an analon three stone water ceramic sharpener that’s actually great for a really quick edge on filleting knives etc.

And the best by far, WEPS.

Willis68
    Participant

My latest Sharpening System, soon the Gen 3 will be replaced by the 2017 Commercial Wicked Edge system

Attachments:
    Willis68
    Participant

My latest Sharpening System soon the Gen 3 will be replaced by the 2017 Commercial Wicked Edge

IMG_0298

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Willis: My first thought at seeing your photo was “That’s a serious habit”.  But then I thought of my own and yikes!!  I have three WEPS rigs, a Sharpmaker, a Worksharp and about a dozen bench stones.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.