Advanced Search

How many different sharpening devices do you own?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business How many different sharpening devices do you own?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I have a wicked edge system, and also the KME.    Some have belt sanders, some have the Work Sharps Ken Onion edition, the Tormek , Kalamazoo’s, the viels, or even cheap sanders from Harbor Freight.

Which ones would you recommend I buy next down my river of obsession?

I’m the type who gets obsessed and wants to buy one of each to find out each strength and weaknesses.   It seems the Wicked Edge generally has the consensus of potentially creating the sharpest edge.   What is the strength and weakness of these other systems?

(Played to the tune of the boxing ring started up, lets get ready to rumble)  LETS GET READY TO SHARPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have the WEPS, a Spyderco Sharpmaker, a WorkSharp and a bunch of sharpening stones, both synthetic and natural.  I have a 6X48 Rikon belt sander I could use from sharpening, but instead, for those real quickies, I go to my Jet double-ended buffer on a pedestal stand with diamond grit on 10″ polishing wheels.  Except for the WEPS and the manual stones, each of the others is pretty much limited to two steps in coarseness and you have little control over re-profiling.

The WorkSharp and the polishing wheels are the fastest, with the polishing wheel setup having an edge (pun..) over the other.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have the spyderco sharp maker, a cheap tri-stone system, and a lansky.

The spyderco is great for adding a quick microbevel and touch-up sharpening. It is easy to use and gives nice results. However, it is nearly useless if you want to do a re-profile or repair damaged blade.

The tri-stone setup is all free-hand, so you need to have good technique to get a usable result. The advantage is that there are no limitations on the sharpening angle and no need to find the sweet spot in a clamp.

The lansky is very inexpensive (excellent value) and will put a working edge on knives fairly consistently. It can be used for re-profiling and it takes a lot less technique than the free-hand method. On the downside, it is very slow because you are only working one side of the blade at a time with very narrow stones, it is not very consistent (too much flex in the guide rods), the results are not repeatable because there is no way to record clamping positions, and you need to do blades longer than about 6 inches in sections because the guide rods are too short.

If I were to purchase another sharpening setup to compliment my Wicked Edge, I think I would either get a paper wheel / bench grinder or a belt grinder setup like the AMK 75 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9buJ0Hnt3k).

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker in the kitchen to touch up kitchen knives that do not need the WEPS treatment. It works fine. I have no need to get another sharpener. Why whould you buy a Lansky when you have a WEPS?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker in the kitchen to touch up kitchen knives that do not need the WEPS treatment. It works fine. I have no need to get another sharpener. Why whould you buy a Lansky when you have a WEPS?

I had the Lansky before I upgraded to the Wicked Edge.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    driwash2
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 15

I have the Wick Edge sport with all the extras, a 1 inch belt sander, paper wheel system and work sharp.   The Wicked Edge is by far the gets me the best results.

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Replies: 22

I have too many.  I have gone down the river you speak of.  I have stones, lansky, apex, tormec, electric sharpeners, Ken Onion belt sharper and the WEP.  I was never great at getting consistent results on the stones.  Lansky was a step forward and Apex was a big step beyond the basic Lanskey.  Electric slot  sharpeners were pretty disappointing.  The Apex was quite good but the WEP was and still is the best high end option.  I like the belt sharpener for axes and hatchets.  The Tormec T8 is great for many things, even knives.  The Tormec works great on knives that are made of steels that are hard to sharpen that would otherwise be throw-away.   However, the WEP on knives, offers precision, repeatability and the ability to do things like precision micro-bevels.  For knives, the WEP has no peer if one wants something beyond a workmans’s edge.

FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

I use the Wicked Edge, Tormek T-8, Spyderco System, 1×30 Belt sander and in process of building a 2×72 to start my own custom knives.

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant

Hi Final Edge.  What is a 2×72?  Also, what are your favorite uses for the Tormec T8?

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I would guess its a 2″ by 72″ belt

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

2 X 72 belt sanders are the most popular rig for knife makers.  Most can be configured to operate in a number of ways and with different size pulleys.   If you watch “Forged in Fire” you’ll occasionally see them using them.  Also appear in a bunch of Youtube videos.  With coarse grit belts, they can remove a lot of metal in a hurry.  With certain attachment devices, you can create hollow grinds pretty easily.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wvsharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I like having an Edge Pro Apex to use when doing FFG blades (and when I’m in the mood to use it).  Also, I do think the Work Sharp Ken Onion with the Blade Grinding Attachment has saved my sanity.  Sometimes people will ask me to sharpen really bad knives.  The WE 100’s barely touch those.  I use the WSKO-BGA to rough them in and switch to the Wicked Edge to finish.  I can produce excellent results in reasonable time.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

2 x 72 belt sanders are probably most popular for knife makers. But are they also most popular for knife sharpeners? Whenever I ask on a Dutch knife forum about the best automated knife sharpener, the advice is always a Tormek T-8. (Not that I’m considering one…) What do you think?

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant

Hi Mark76, I have many sharpening devices.  I own a Tormec T8.  The Tormec is favored by me when: I am sharpening large knives that are made of poorly heat treated steel that are very hard, small knives with poor steel that take a long time to sharpen that don’t take an edge very well, and knives that are abused by family members and need frequent attention.  The Tormec will also sharpen scissors, hedge trimmers, etc.  The Tormec is not precise enough to apply primary and secondary bevels.  The Tormec will put a good workman like edge on a knife very quickly.  However, the Wicked Edge is capable  of precision ultra sharp repeatable results like no other.

Mark76
    Participant

How would you compare a Ken Onion work sharpener to a Tormek?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.