Advanced Search

How fo view edge while sharpening??

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How fo view edge while sharpening??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

My experience is from months of using the KME.  One of the things I would do is vary my strokes and pressure until I could see the previous grind marks disappear.  Its easy to do onmthe KME as you are lookimg down on the edge with the light shining on the edge.

So now I have a new WE PP2.  Seeing the edge while I sharpen is less straight foward.  Any ideas or techniques?

Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Stop and use a jewellers loupe or USB microscope?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

Yes that would work but its not as  efficient as looking at it as you do it……

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have a bright LED over head light I work with and then pick up a bright little LED Flashlight to shine right on the side of my bevel to inspect it for scratches in the bright reflection. This works well for me. I also do use a USB Microscope connected to a little laptop that I hand-hold against the bevel to inspect in finer detail.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I have a bright LED over head light I work with and then pick up a bright little LED Flashlight to shine right on the side of my bevel to inspect it for scratches in the bright reflection. This works well for me. I also do use a USB Microscope connected to a little laptop that I hand-hold against the bevel to inspect in finer detail.

MarcH,

I use a Veho USB scope also, take a pic when I am done with each progression and compare pics to look at scratch patterns. Helps a lot.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.