Advanced Search

Hello from Newfoundland Canada

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello from Newfoundland Canada

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DanG
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hello all. After spending time on the forum, both before and after my purchase of a 2017 WE130 (which was just delivered today), I thought it was time to say hi. I’ve graduated from an Edge Pro and Free Hand. I enjoyed using Shapton Glass Stones free hand so purchased a 500/1000 set and 4000/8000 set to compliment the 100/200 and 400/600 that came with my Wicked Edge. I may not post much but appreciate the wealth of knowledge available here.

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome Dan, I think you will love your choice. I to use the WE 130 and I love the versatility of the system. Good luck! Be sure let everyone know how it’s going for you and ask if you have any questions.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

DanG,  I too have a WE130 and use Shapton Glass stones regularly.  Any questions we’re here to help. Welcome!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome DanG!

Please post your impressions of the sharpener and how it compares with the EP once you’ve had a chance to get the stones broken in and become accustomed to the tool.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome DanG! Someday I hope to visit Newfoundland. I hear it’s beautiful and the people are great. So says my mom who visited a few years back and fell in love with the place.

-Clay

DanG

Thanks for the welcomes. I’ve used it twice now and really like the setup, one of the things I’m looking forward to is the repeatability of sharpening  the same blade again. Just had some overtime added on to my shift at work so ordered the low angle adapter, 800/1000 stones, and 1500 stones with 3 micron tape. My nicer blades will get the shapton treatment and others will get the diamonds. More options and more toys are never a bad thing…

sksharp
    Participant

ordered the low angle adapter, 800/1000 stones, and 1500 stones with 3 micron tape

I think you made a good choice on the additions Dan, if I could offer a suggestion for you’re next purchase, if you choose to, would be strops. My choice would be 4/2 and 1/.5 emulsions. I love the kangaroo leather but the cowhide is a good choice as well. The 5/3.5 and 1/.5 pastes are good as well on cowhide but the emulsions are my favorites and I’ve worked with both quite a bit. Good luck with the new purchase of stones I believe you will be amazed with them. Also the low angle adapter is something that I use quite a bit, especially for low profile blades such as fillet knives and smaller blades.

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 37

Welcome DanG,

I am a new user of the WE also. The folks her in the forum are very helpful.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Dan! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

DanG

I think you made a good choice on the additions Dan, if I could offer a suggestion for you’re next purchase, if you choose to, would be strops. My choice would be 4/2 and 1/.5 emulsions. I love the kangaroo leather but the cowhide is a good choice as well. The 5/3.5 and 1/.5 pastes are good as well on cowhide but the emulsions are my favorites and I’ve worked with both quite a bit. Good luck with the new purchase of stones I believe you will be amazed with them. Also the low angle adapter is something that I use quite a bit, especially for low profile blades such as fillet knives and smaller blades.

Thanks for the advice, with my initial purchase, I did get the roo leather strops with 2 micron and 1 micron emulsion, with the thought to follow the 8000 shapton glass.

I hindsight I should have waited on the shapton glass stones but having used them before, I liked the thought of the ‘known’ experience and results with them.

It’s kind of ironic that one of the benefits I liked about this system was the speed (with an 17 month old, time is precious) but the more I read, the more I want to experiment with better and better edges on certain knives I own. Speed might be the wrong word but if every stroke is hitting the apex (once the bevel is set), every stroke made is accomplishing something vs my freehand attempts.

sksharp
    Participant

Well said Dan, you seem to be going down a similar road as myself. I have a full set of shapton pro stones and I love them, all though I don’t use them very often. I have time constraints as well and to be honest for most of the knives that I sharpen for others the diamonds produce edges that the people around here have never seen. I save the shaptons for “special” knives. I think you will find that once you have went thru 1000 or 1500 with or without the film, then strop, that’s going to be just fine for most knives. The “quest” as I call it for the, better and better and better….so on and so on…edges, is part of the obsession that has grabbed quite a few of us. When I have 25 or 30 knives setting in front of me though speed is a contributing factor. The beauty of the diamonds, with the WE, is you don’t have to sacrifice quality for speed. I have to say though that in the few times I’ve used the shaptons that I’m surprised how fast they are as well. I expected that they would take more time than they do but they are not as fast as the diamonds and the diamonds produce very good edges. All the best Dan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.