Advanced Search

Having trouble sharpening a dagger – advice please

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Having trouble sharpening a dagger – advice please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve Vanderkolff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

I am attempting to sharpen a dagger with the system and running into a couple of major problems. The dagger blade is 3/4 of an inch wide which means that each bevel is only 3/8 wide. The daggers have a fairly deep hollow grind. The two main problems I am having is that the pressure from the clamp forces the blade to either pop out the top of the clamp or the bottom. Even when I try and clamp right on the centre line it will force the blade either up or down. The other issue is that with only 3/8 of an inch from cntre to edge there is not enough of the blade above the clamp to enable me to sharpen it.

I make a lot of this style of dagger and would like to find a solution so that I can use my sharpening system to sharpen these knives.

Thanks

Steve vanderkolff

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Can you clamp it near the heel/handle like this?

IMG_0406

(Probably want to tape yours first…)

(From this thread)… https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/old-gerber-dagger/

Just angle it up so the edge is approximately parallel to the top of the clamp.

p.s. Ignore all the grinding on my example…it was a beater knife. 🙂

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Another option… Tormek’s small knife jig…

IMG_0978

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Steve Vanderkolff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

I like the small knife jig. Where can you get one, or can you show us the componemt parts so we can make one?

Thanks

Steve

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The Tormek Small Knife Jig is available from several vendors.  I bought mine from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sharpener-Tormek-SVM-00-Pocketknives-Damaging/dp/B00CD7X1OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480957657&sr=8-1&keywords=tormek+small+knife+jig

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.