Advanced Search

Grit rate vs. edge retention

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Some time ago there was a reference here to an article about grit rate vs. edge retention here. I thought the article was on Science of Sharp, but I could be mistaken.

The point of the article was that coarse edges (up to a point) have a longer edge retention than fine edges. Although this has been stated more often (and I didn’t always agree; how do you measure this longevity?), I had never seen a good reason for this. The hypothesis in this article was that the teeth of a coarse edge break off easier than those of a sharp edge, thus keeping the edge sharp for a longer time.

Unfortunately I cannot find the article back. Does anyone have a link for me? Thanks!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Mark,  Googled: “Article: grit rate VS edge retention” and came up with several articles. Notable one by

Cliff Stamp:http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/articles/grits.html

Maybe this is it?

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Marc! That’s a fast response. I’m not sure this is the article I read before, but it’s very good. Cliff gives a very simple definition of edge retention and, as we know of him, thoroughly tests his theory. Only the reason why coarse grit edges have increased edge retention is part of the discussion section and not tested. IIRC the Science of sharp article (or whereever I read it) did actually test the hypothesis for this.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This is something we want to test thoroughly whenever we can find the time, which seems to be in short supply these days.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This is something we want to test thoroughly whenever we can find the time, which seems to be in short supply these days.

Apparently so….

IMG_0490

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks guys and LOL, Curtis. Of course I’m curious where those photographs come from and what they actually show.

And success with managing your time, Clay. I spoke to a guy who met you at the IWA (I think – from Knives and Tools) and he told me how busy you are; as if I didn’t know that already…

cbwx34
    Participant

Another peek at the new Wicked Edge Go.

Posted by Clay Allison on Wednesday, January 18, 2017

(click on the date link)

Mark76
    Participant

Wow, very nice product! Is this supposed to become an alternative to the Field and Sport?

cbwx34
    Participant

I don’t know… I just ran across the video.  Haven’t seen it in person… but like the looks of it.  (Like the 200/600 stone combo too).

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I can definitely see the appeal of this version; it would be very portable so it would make it easier to bring with you every day. I could see myself wanting one of these so that I could bring a wicked edge to my parent’s house. As nice as the gen 3 pro is with its sturdy carrying case, it would be rather cumbersome to take it on a flight in addition to the other luggage I would need when I travel back to visit.

Organic
    Participant

Wow! I just watched the video and Clay said that it would be retailing for $199! That makes it an exceptional value and puts Wicked Edge back in the discussion for those who are more budget conscious. That’s directly in the price range of the Edge Pro Apex and the KME.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Ah, the dangers of taking prototypes to shows. We’re hoping for a late summer release of these. The idea is to have a portable, affordable unit. I’ve really been enjoying these. One feature that’s not shown in the prototype is that the stones will actually store inside the base piece. The guide rods also store in slots in the base piece and the jaws lie flat when you use the thumbscrew to take them off of the base so the whole things becomes pretty compact. The basic case won’t have additional stone storage but a deluxe case will be available that has spots for two more sets of stones so you could travel with three sets total.

ps – we’re trying to keep this product relatively hush hush until we’re ready to release it. We showed it to dealers at Shot Show and IWA but don’t want to fully let the cat out of the bag yet. 😉

-Clay

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

You either have the $ or the time, but rarely both.  Money you can make.  Time  you can’t.

Mark76
    Participant

Still, I know Clay has a lot of projects going on. Look at all the new products appearing on the website; and they all seem great. All the shows/exhibitions that are visited by the WEPS team. And a completely new website was realized (with people like me nagging for improved features ). I can remember Clay was going to produce a series of photographs showing the scratches of each stone, which has not been realized yet as far as I know. And now research into edge retention vs. grit rate. (I can remember another research project with – I think – a university, but I forgot what it was.)

I fully understand not every plan is realized due to time constraints; and commercial activities  – new products and shows – probably have a higher priority than more basic research. Although this latter is of course what interests me a lot.

Organic
    Participant

Still, I know Clay has a lot of projects going on. Look at all the new products appearing on the website; and they all seem great. All the shows/exhibitions that are visited by the WEPS team. And a completely new website was realized (with people like me nagging for improved features ). I can remember Clay was going to produce a series of photographs showing the scratches of each stone, which has not been realized yet as far as I know. And now research into edge retention vs. grit rate. (I can remember another research project with – I think – a university, but I forgot what it was.) I fully understand not every plan is realized due to time constraints; and commercial activities – new products and shows – probably have a higher priority than more basic research. Although this latter is of course what interests me a lot.

While it doesn’t have every grit in the current lineup of abrasives offered by WE, this is the grit comparison chart you were thinking of.

https://wickededge.myshopify.com/pages/grits-comparison-chart-for-the-wicked-edge-sharpener

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.