Advanced Search

Global GS-5 70/30

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dan McCoy
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

I have a Global GS-5 to sharpen. It has been sharpened poorly and I would like to get it back to its original geometry. The website says the following:

“Hold the knife so that the blade meets the coarse side of the whetstone at an angle of 10° to 15° then complete the process on the fine side. Sharpening guide rails are available to ensure the correct angle. For best results, the front of the blade should be polished about 70% and the back of the blades about 30%.”

I get the 70/30 part but which is the front and back of the blade? If I hold it by the handle with the tip away from me, sharp edge on a cutting board, , is the right side the front or back? When holding it this way, the brand name is on the left side.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I get the 70/30 part but which is the front and back of the blade?…

Quick question: Do you have any experience with/and/or knowledge of freehand sharpening asymmetrical bevels? Or used a knife that had asymmetrical bevels?

Dan McCoy
    Participant

I’m not planning on doing it freehand.. I will be using the Wicked Edge. I have put a 70/30 on a blade before for a Chef I work with. She specified which edge was which for her needs. I am just trying to make sure I understand what side Global is referring to as front and back.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I’m not planning on doing it freehand.. I will be using the Wicked Edge. I have put a 70/30 on a blade before for a Chef I work with. She specified which edge was which for her needs. I am just trying to make sure I understand what side Global is referring to as front and back.

Oh, ok! I see what asking. Well, then in that case, imho Global is being rather vague in their description. So I’m right there with you.

Man… Immediately my mind goes to asking the question “is the knife for a righty or a lefty? To me, that might help determine what side is the front and what side is the back. Hmmmm.

This is why I LOVE asymmetrical sharpening! There’s still so much that flies over my head… And it’s awesome.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I get the 70/30 part but which is the front and back of the blade?

LOL! That’s a funny one by Global. But once you’ve figured out which side they mean (is it left handed or right handed?) there’s basically two techniques you can use, Ken Schwartz has written about it on this forum quite extensively and maybe you can find his posts back using the search function.

But either you can use a different angle on one side of the blade than on the other side of the blade. Or you can sharpen one side of the blade for a longer time than the other side, so that you grind away more material from one side.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 15

I have the Global GS-5 and the blade is symmetrical therefore 50/50 I use a 16 degree edge on this knife. Im very new to sharpening with the WE but been sharpening for work purposes for few years. http://www.globalknives.uk.com/sharpening
    Global Sai website says to sharpen as you said.
    Hope this helps.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I also usually put a 50/50 17 degree angle on a Global gyuto or petty.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

From new Globals have a convex edge that is why they say 10-15˚ on their sites so if you wish to sharpen as new then start at 10˚ then graduate up to 15˚ then hone out the steps or if you don’t have the patience then 15-17˚ bevel is fine.

Dan McCoy
    Participant

I spoke to the owner again and she only knows of two knife edges, sharp and not sharp. I ended up doing it symmetrically at 15° per side. Maybe not exactly like the factory but it’s now extremely sharp.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.