Advanced Search

Gen3 Vise upgrade to Pro Pack 2 – low angles

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Gen3 Vise upgrade to Pro Pack 2 – low angles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16
    So I got my new gen3 Vise upgrade and put it on. First thing I noticed is that now my blades stand straight up (the ones with flats or taped FFG’s). I like that. My first knife was going to be a Wusthoff paring knife. The company suggests 14 degrees.
    But then I see that the system cannot do it. the knife is too small. The lowest DPS angle that I can get is 17.75 degrees. So I did that. I also have the low angle adapter that I was using on the earlier vise. Is that the answer for low angles on the gen3 vise?
    I also noticed that I had that extra height block that came with the PP2. The block with 1 hole that is inbetween the vise and the blue stand. Could that be made to work on the Gen3 vise. I can drill and tap holes?
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

This would be a great opportunity to give your Tormek small knife adapter a try (Yes, I’m the guy who has been commenting on your youtube videos recently). You should find that you can get lower angles with the adapter because it both raises the knife further above the clamp and it holds the knife by the handle so it almost suspends the blade over the clamp with nothing to obstruct the movement of the stones.

If you have one of the newer low angle adapters it should be compatible with the gen. 3 clamp. The older ones are apparently not compatible with the newer clamp design.

I have no idea about the riser block.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 51

Bob,

Did you get the 2017 gen 3?  If so, how do you like it?  I’m still waiting for mine…

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Bob, Did you get the 2017 gen 3? If so, how do you like it? I’m still waiting for mine…

I believe that he upgraded his pro pack 2 with the gen. 3 clamp.

uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

Yes…. its a gen 3 vize upgrade to the pro pack w

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Bob, Did you get the 2017 gen 3? If so, how do you like it? I’m still waiting for mine…

I believe that he upgraded his pro pack 2 with the gen. 3 clamp.

I’ve got the 2017 gen 3 vise… quite simply, it’s AMAZING. It should almost be called gen 4 hehe, night and day difference from the 2016 model believe it or not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.