Advanced Search

Gen 3 Pro–different angles on each side?

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 Pro–different angles on each side?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Anyone have a Gen 3 Pro that produces different angles on each side, as measured with an angle measure?

I’m new to WE, so after my 6th knife I realized the difference.

I zeroed out the difference by adjusting the micro adjustment feature on the ball jointed guide rod.

But it sticks out 5/16″ farther than the other.

Any concerns with that?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I also have to use the micro adjusts in order to get perfectly matching angles. Usually the two sides are only slightly off from one another (0.2 degrees or so). As long as you can get them to match using the micro adjustments, I don’t see a reason to be concerned. From a use perspective, I don’t think you would be able to feel much of a difference between a knife with perfectly symmetrical 20 degree bevels and an unsymmetrical 23 / 20 beveled knife let alone one with 20.5 / 20 degree bevels. That said, the reason anyone buys a Wicked Edge product is because they want this level of control over the sharpening process.

I recall reading in an old thread that Wicked Edge does measure the amount of difference in the angles when they are doing quality control on the generation 3 sharpeners and there are limits to what they deem to be acceptable (I don’t recall the numbers, but you might try searching the forum to find the values). You can give them a call and ask about it if you think that yours might be out of specification. The Wicked Edge team has superb customer service and I think they’d be happy to talk to you about it.

erik hettinger
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I am running into a problem in which the bevel is smaller near the heel of the blade than the opposite side. One side of the bevel comes out perfect, the other side of the bevel comes out smaller as you get towards the heel. I have confirmed my angles to be correct near the heel of the blade on both sides with an angle cube.

What can I do to correct this issue?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I am running into a problem in which the bevel is smaller near the heel of the blade than the opposite side. One side of the bevel comes out perfect, the other side of the bevel comes out smaller as you get towards the heel. I have confirmed my angles to be correct near the heel of the blade on both sides with an angle cube. What can I do to correct this issue?

So you’re saying that on one side the bevel is very consistent in width but the other side of the blade has a more narrow bevel near the heel and a wider bevel at the tip? If you could post a picture or two that would be helpful. I’m not sure what would cause that issue. If the bevel is too wide at the tip and too narrow at the heel that can indicate that you didn’t find the “sweet spot” and would need to adjust the placement of the blade in the clamp, but usually that issue is present on both sides of the knife. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will have the answer.

erik hettinger
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

you are correct. I’ll post a picture tomorrow. thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.