Advanced Search

Forum suggestions

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum suggestions

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Chris! I haven’t tested it yet, but it looks like a great improvement.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

We’re ve had quite a few spammers recently. Any protection against this would be very handy. I’m thinking of:

• use of those codes-that-humans-can-read-but-computers-cannot when registering for an account
    • an ability not to delete spam posts only, but to block the spammers as well in one go (like the old forum had)

Would this be possible?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

Hi RazorEdgeKnives.  I just want to send you a quick thank you.  It has probably been nearly two years since you gave me some feedback.  You helped me move to the next level in sharpening.  I am now pretty darn good.  Still, lots to learn but I credit you for letting me know I could do better.  You kind of enlarged the envelope of what I could expect to be in terms of knife sharpening.  I hope you are doing well and reaching even higher in your expertise of using the WEP system.  THANKS for helping to turn me from a low level WEP pedestrian user to someone who is now a proven believer in the system.  I now have a kitchen, drawer, pocket and many friends with some scary sharp knives.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Deleted a few new spam mails tonight. It would be nice if there were more support to make their work more difficult or at least to ban them easily.

Mark76
    Participant

There’s been a couple of spams again, so any support in managing/preventing these would be appreciated.

A system (like on the previous forum) of deleting spams and banning the spammers in one go would work. But perhaps an “I’m not a robot” captcha when someone subscribes to this forum would be easier to implement and more effective.

Mark76
    Participant

Great! Today I was asked for the first time whether I was not a robot . Thanks, Cris!

(A tip: it seems I have to state I’m not a robot every time I reply to a new thread. I think it would be a bit more user-friendly to only ask this when ppl register.)

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I think it is pretty easy to use, no issues here.  Thanks!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

SalisburySam
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

I get that spammers are a problem and that the “I am not a robot” reCAPTCHA test addresses most of that.   However, the form of reCAPTCHA in use is the most annoying of the many available, IMO.  Having to select multiple of an item type, and then maybe have to select some more, and then maybe select some more never knowing when the selections will actually end is just frustrating.  If it is really necessary to use the reCAPTCHA test at all, could we at least change it to something more definite, like having to type in two words from images?  You either get them right or not, but at least you know that typing in the words is all you’ll have to do instead of a guessing game of selecting roads, cars, street signs, and the like.  Just me probably.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

I can completely understand the frustrations with reCaptcha. However, I think it’s still our best option.

reCaptcha is owned and developed by Google, and they’re arguably the best/smartest company to figure out how to defeat the spammers and spambots. They’re trying to make the captcha better, making it easier for legitimate users and harder for spammers. But it’s still imperfect. They released a new “invisible” version this summer, and that’s what we’re using. It utilizes some kind of AI (artificial intelligence) to determine which users are riskier, and which are safer, and it adapts the captcha accordingly.

This is great in the times where you get the simple checkbox “I’m not a robot” (it’s already determined you’re low risk) but annoying in the times when you get the image-based challenges like “Click every image with a street sign.”

I’ve personally been prompted a few times to do the image-based tests, and I rarely spam our forum, so I’m not sure why that happens…

Please PM me if you continue to get the image challenge every time, and we’ll try to see what’s going on.

2017-11-04_08-23-31

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

After getting used to it, I quite like the captcha. (I admit this is also because I am one of the persons confronted with the spam.)

After some trainign, I nowadays usually fill out a captcha right the first time. An important tip I had to learn: if, for example, you are asked to select blocks with cars, only select the blocks that clearly show a large part of a car. Sometimes a little residue of a car is shown in an adjacent block; don’t click this.

Chris, one thing that might also help is if users have to log in less often. I don’t know it’s possible, but that would remove a bit of the frustration of some users, I think.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

I’ll see if we can extend the login duration to 30 days; I believe it’s currently at 14 days using the ‘Remember me’ checkbox. I think 30 days is pretty standard.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

The ‘Remember Me’ checkbox now provides 30 days before requiring another login.

Please note that this is a cookie-based setting, so if you delete cookies, or log in from a different device, it’ll require a fresh login.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.