Advanced Search

Forum suggestions

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Yes, it is me, DB. A bag of cash from the 70s doesn’t actually go that far…

Here’s the actual picture, and the avatar based on it. I used a fiverr service to make it, only $5! https://www.fiverr.com/makemebark/make-a-simplified-logo-based-on-your-photo

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Attachments:
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Just a quick forum structure question….  Are there enough total posts on Microscopes, Imaging, software, analysis, calibration, etc… to warrant its own Forum heading or area?  And if so how hard is it to move previous posts to there?
    I’m clueless as to how much work would be involved but since Mirrored Edges discussion of EDOF and Image stacking, and now with my scope and research I want to share, and Clay’s previous posts and images, it was just a thought to consolidate that into an area where new guys can at least go to narrow down information related to magnified imaging and all the different sub topics in contains.  Just a thought 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Thanks!

I’ve got one suggestion as well: the fonts and font sizes are used are used rather inconsistently. For example, when I’m typing this text, I see it in Times new roman, but after I’ve posted it, it is displayed in Arial (or a similar font). This is not really the WYSIWYG on most WordPress implementations (like WordPress on WordPress.org, which hosts my blogs).

Also, quotes are shown in a larger size than the main text of a message.

This is an example quote

And texts of hyperlinks (example link) are also shown in a larger font size than the surrounding text.

We’re updating the styling that’s applied to quoted text, to make it the same size and font as the original post. Please keep the suggestions coming! (oops, I jumped the gun on posting that it’s fixed, but it should be, soon.).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wondering if it would be possible to have an option or something to set the default to be subscribed to the threads we participate in? I forget all the time to check the little box that says to subscribe when I post =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’d like the opposite (i.e. checkbox deselected when replying) . I.e. the current settings. On the old forum the checkbox was selected by default and I always forgot to deselect the checkbox. The end-result was that I got a massive amount of emails about updates to threats I wasn’t interested in anymore.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’d like the opposite (i.e. checkbox deselected when replying) . I.e. the current settings. On the old forum the checkbox was selected by default and I always forgot to deselect the checkbox. The end-result was that I got a massive amount of emails about updates to threats I wasn’t interested in anymore.

Yeah that’s why I’m wondering if there can be a user setting that would allow each to set it up to their liking ?

Mark76
    Participant

Something else I just realised is that the signatures (under the posts) have disappeared.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Something else I just realised is that the signatures (under the posts) have disappeared.

Mark, thanks for raising this issue. I’m looking into it. It seems that the signature is working (I was just able to add one to my bbpress profile, and it’s showing up in my previous posts). But I think you’re pointing out that they were previously there, and went away, meaning we may be missing the signatures that people had previously created.

Please let me know if you had previously set up a signature, and then it went away. The screengrab below shows where to set your signature.

Thanks,
    Chris

2016-05-25_08-10-39

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’m wondering… can anything be done to improve the search function of the forum?  It’s very limiting and doesn’t seem to return all the posts of the word you may be searching for. Also it comes back with no order, for example the dates are random, you can’t search for a phrase, etc.

Also I noticed that you can’t do a search in Google and get any results from the forum (which was my previous workaround)… is it blocked somehow, and if so, can the block be removed?  Searching thru Google in the past seemed to give better results, especially searching for a phrase.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree on the forum search function.  For me it’s been pretty much useless.  However, some of the guys dig up old stuff and I can’t imagine how they did it.  Is there a tutorial somewhere?

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Also I noticed that you can’t do a search in Google and get any results from the forum (which was my previous workaround)… is it blocked somehow, and if so, can the block be removed?  Searching thru Google in the past seemed to give better results, especially searching for a phrase.

Hi cbwx34 – thanks for raising this issue. We are currently working to make native forum search better and relevant. Meanwhile, you should be able to search the forum via Google by doing something like site:knife.wickededgeusa.com search-terms in the browser address-bar. Will you let us know if this technique is working for you.
    (see attached image for example)

Pasted-image-at-2016_05_31-12_14

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

That’s how I commonly searched before… but doesn’t work well now.  For example, I did a search on microbevel and only got 10 hits… I’m sure there’s more than that.  Phrase searches seem to return less… often no hits, even for a phrase I know is there.

Maybe it’s how google works… but I know posts I’ve found in the past this way… I can’t anymore.

Mark76
    Participant

Mark, thanks for raising this issue. I’m looking into it. It seems that the signature is working (I was just able to add one to my bbpress profile, and it’s showing up in my previous posts). But I think you’re pointing out that they were previously there, and went away, meaning we may be missing the signatures that people had previously created. Please let me know if you had previously set up a signature, and then it went away. The screengrab below shows where to set your signature. Thanks, Chris 2016-05-25_08-10-39

That’s weird. Your Edit Profile page looks diffferent from mine. I have no option to create a forum signature (and yes, I had one on the old forum). My entire Edit profile picture page looks different, so I’ll include two screenshots of the screen (the entire screen also show my email address, but I’d like to keep that private.)

Untitled-1
    Untitled-2-1

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

Hi cbwx34 – thanks for raising this issue. We are currently working to make native forum search better and relevant. Meanwhile, you should be able to search the forum via Google by doing something like site:knife.wickededgeusa.com search-terms in the browser address-bar. Will you let us know if this technique is working for you. (see attached imagage.)

That’d be great. The forum has already been much improved from the first version. If there’s one feature I think is missing it’s a good search option. I think everyone will benefit from this, but it’s particularly great for new users. (And they are not the most likely ones to post in this thead.)

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Hi all,

We’ve made some improvements to search. Prior to posting this as a new topic, I wanted to post it here as a reply, so you can all try it out, provide your feedback.

• Re-sort your results by a) Post Date, or b) Relevance
    • Use an ‘Advanced Search’ page
      • by date range (7 days / 30 days / 90 days)
      • by forum
      • by topic
      • by author

re-sort-search
    advanced-search

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.