Advanced Search

Fixing knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Fixing knives

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Manny
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

I’m restoring 2 old knives for a friend( first time)aside from needing sharpening they have a small about of rust and are very hard to open. What product can I used for the rust and to lube them up? Thanks

Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

I have used ‘Evapo-Rust’ on a number of things with good results. I used it on a couple of knives I got at a yard sale and it cleaned them up pretty good, they were basic pocket knives. and then used WD-40 to lube them. They all came out good and gave them to a friend to sell at a flee market.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve used WD-40 and 0000 steel wool to scrub surface rust away.  If the pivot joint is hard to operate because of rust, you might try the WD-40 penetrating oil to loosen them up.  I use Birchwood Casey’s “Sheath.” as a protectant,  but I also have a gun & knife protectant made by Flitz, I think.  It’s more like a car wax than an oil.   Fuelboat’s recommendation of “Evapo-Rust is probably the best for rust which goes deeper than the surface.  There are a number of new product out there for removing and/or stopping rust, but the ones I’ve seen come in large gallon containers.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Have done 6 or 7 old knives and some with extensive pitting from oxidation. High carbon steel that was neglected. I wet sanded with sandpaper by hand, started with 400 grit then 600,800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 and then buffed them with a hand held drill, 4″ buffing wheel and the finish was quite good, at least by my standards and the people I did them for were very happy. The whole process took and hour to 2 hours depending on the pitting.

I personally use rusty’s rags to protect and clean but the above methods are just as good. A quality gun oil works very well for protection, but use sparingly  and wipe thoroughly so it doesn’t attract dirt and dust.

This only works when there is no etching or engraving that has to be maintained. 

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Manny
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

Thanks guys very helpful.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use Flitz, too, if the rust is not too severe. Otherwise, I use fine steel wool (0000 or 00000 if that exists).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.