Advanced Search

Filet knives and flexing knives

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rene Lafontaine
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

Hi. I was wondering if there’s in a near fufuture an attachement made for flezing nives. Like filet knives? Something that will be like the low angle addon but with multiple clipping place.. back of the knife, middle and front  of the blade.

Part of my clients have fishing knives sharpen and im not happy with the result

If you look at a competitr… tsprof not to mention it.. it cam add multiple clip and even filet knife(low angle) clamps.

I think tha something like that on the wicked edge would be super great.

And dont tel me there is a rod for that.. it’ totaly useless seriously…

Waiting from you.

Rene

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Rene, I myself, have suggested to Clay a wider jaw that can be exchanged out with the basic jaw to better hold flexible knives.  I can tell you it’s easier for us to think up solutions and make good viable suggestions, then it is for Clay and Wicked Edge to design it, have it machined, test it, correct it, refine it, and bring it to market in to their inventory.  Another issue besides the time involved for them to do this with all the other irons they have in the fire, is it’s quite expensive to do something like this.  In my opinion, they have to determine if the return on research, development and investment will be offset by sales and profit.  I know they enjoy providing us with the service of they’re sharpeners but it is a business that has to be profitable if they can continue improve and innovate these fine WEPS in the market place.

Here are a couple Forum posted pictures of how others have modified and made adaptors on their on to deal with your issue.  They’re not too difficult to do if you have the ability to do it or know someone who can do it for you:

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have the rig as shown in the second photo, but have only needed it a few times.    I do filet knives by clamping them with only two inches or so of the tip extending beyond the WE clamp.  It still flexes a bit, but as long as you are consistent with the pressure applied, the edge turns out just fine.   If it’s a longer filet knife, I may hold the handle by one hand while I hone the blade with the other.  Seems to work really well, as the owners have been delighted with the results.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I have the same issue and posted a pic of a possible solution. Being that the WEPS R&D pipeline is somewhat limited, I checked into doing it online. If we submit a 3-d CAD file of what we want we can get some for something like $400 for the first set and much cheaper if we get a set of 10. I also have access to a 3-d printer so if someone (maybe even WEPS) can give us the CAD file then we can do it ourselves. The wave of the future is doing things like this but, of course, proprietary IP has its challenges. Just ask any lawyer (whom I avoid like the plague). I would be more than willing to keep the IP where it belongs (with WEPS).

Long-Knife-Jig2

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Readheads:

I was the corporate patent/IP guy for about twenty years before I retired.  Once you have disclosed your idea, even if it’s only on a obscure forum post, you lose the right to patent that idea and others are free to use it.

See step #2 on this page.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have the first attachment Marc showed in his photographs. It works well, but it is a bilt of a hassle to set it up. As a consuequence I do it someitmes like Tom: ” I may hold the handle by one hand while I hone the blade with the other.  Seems to work really well, as the owners have been delighted with the results.”

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.