Advanced Search

Favorite Folding EDC under $15-$20

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Favorite Folding EDC under $15-$20

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

What is your favorite pocket knife or EDC knife under $15-$20 in price.  Any folding knife you like that’s inexpensive fits in this category.

I enjoy sharpening and like to experience sharpening many different kinds of knives.  I have more kitchen knives than any sane person needs and no more room to keep them.  It’s not like you can throw a WE sharpened knife in a drawer and safely retrieve it.  So I decided pocket knives are the way to go to feed my Zen desire to sharpen.  Folding knives I can safely just hide in a drawer and reach in there and not need a Band-Aid. Thanks for your suggestions.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

An alternative to buying cheap pocket knives… I found a lot of practice knives on eBay.  In particular searching for “Knife Lot”.  A bit of searching (and patience) will give you plenty of practice… and usually on knives that really need it.  You’ll get a few “junkers”… they’re still usually good enough to throw in a toolbox or car as a spare… but occasionally you’ll get a nice find too.

Also, many people will sell a knife because it’s “damaged”… a broken tip or chipped edge will often get you a knife for pennies on the dollar… and many are easy fixes… and good practice.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Thanks cbwx34, good suggestion.

Besides gaining practical sharpening experience, I’m really looking for cool, decent, inexpensive knives that are fun to carry and use.  You know, grab and go a different one everyday.  Then, like TCMeyer said, you don’t mind just giving it away, if someone likes it or needs it, because you can generally replace it, if you really want to.  If I sharpen it too often that I waste the steel and ruin the usefulness and longevity of the knife I really won’t mind.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

In that case… you might want to look at the many Kershaw “imports” that constantly pop up.  For example the “Injection” 3820, great knife that can be found for around $15.00…

IMG_1198

… Kershaw also has some “Walmart Exclusives”… that can be gotten on the cheap.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    AIRon22
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Marc I have to say–in my quest for some cheap knives to practice on, I stumbled upon the Kershaw Thistle. I tell you, it’s unique, and really easy to open and close with one hand. I was really surprised by the lockup and everything else about it.

Marc H

Thank you AlRon22 that fits right in with what I’m looking for.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

The Opinel No 8 is one of my personal favorites. Pretty unique old world folder with a collar lock. Extremely thin blade, very lightweight. Takes an insanely sharp edge, and they’re only $12-14. They make great gifts.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I think the Opinel is a good choice. They have blades with carbon steels as well that should take even better edges than the stainless ones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I’ve had good success with Kershaw , Oso sweet, Thistle and a couple of trainers. Buck’s Lux is a nice knife as well. The Oso sweet is my favorite of those.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I sort of missed the original post date but….let’s bring the thread back to the fore! One of my favorites EDCs that will not break the bank https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957987150.html?spm=2114.12010610.8148356.2.67577783n3tStX.  FFC, very sharp and a very good slicer. It’s little brother https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32944757365.html?spm=2114.12010610.8148356.14.67577783hoL9jP  ,  just as good.

The part that I dislike is that it takes forever to get them (roughly a month) but well worth the wait. The price for either is close to $30 but let’s allow for inflation here, $20 in 2017 …..

If you are so inclined, you can still find a Kershaw Dividend in M390 though they are getting rather scarce in the wild.

Marc H

The Best Dirt Cheap Knives

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

For years I’ve been buying batches of Grizzly’s Z-Knife, which is a small lock back folder with a skeletonized blade.  When I first bought them, maybe ten or twelve years ago, they were only about $7 each, and I kept one at every place around house I worked or sat.  When they became dull, I’d gather up the whole lot and take them to my WEPS for tune-ups.  Then they came on sale, so I bought another batch, after which I’d keep one in my pocket and give it to a friend or relative who didn’t have an EDC.  I probably gave about 12 away.  Guys seem to love them, so now they’ve come on a close-out sale for $3.40 each, so I bought another batch of eight.  All told, I think I’ve bought about 24 Z-knives.

As Father Guido Sarducci said, “Get ’em while supplies last!”

Okay, that’s a pretty obscure joke. To explain:  On Saturday Night Live, back in the early eighties, a comedian portraying Father Sarducci, said that he was now working for the Vatican and that “they were running a special on absolution.  Get ’em while supplies last.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

For years I’ve been buying batches of Grizzly’s Z-Knife, which is a small lock back folder with a skeletonized blade. When I first bought them, maybe ten or twelve years ago, they were only about $7 each, and I kept one at every place around house I worked or sat. When they became dull, I’d gather up the whole lot and take them to my WEPS for tune-ups. Then they came on sale, so I bought another batch, after which I’d keep one in my pocket and give it to a friend or relative who didn’t have an EDC. I probably gave about 12 away. Guys seem to love them, so now they’ve come on a close-out sale for $3.40 each, so I bought another batch of eight. All told, I think I’ve bought about 24 Z-knives. As Father Guido Sarducci said, “Get ’em while supplies last!” Okay, that’s a pretty obscure joke. To explain: On Saturday Night Live, back in the early eighties, a comedian portraying Father Sarducci, said that he was now working for the Vatican and that “they were running a special on absolution. Get ’em while supplies last.”

You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the place you purchased from? All I get is Grizzly tools….

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Sorry, I meant to include a link, but decided to have a brain fart instead.  https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bullets-com-Z-Knife/BL11195

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Thanks TC!  Grabbed 6 to scatter about the house and garage..  I bet they are like cordless drills.. all gathered in the other place where I am not, when I need one! 🙂  If it is small and lite enough might even put one in me pocket.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.