Advanced Search

Fastest/ Best way to break in new diamond stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Fastest/ Best way to break in new diamond stones?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

I have been a KME user for the past 9 months. Stones all broken in.  Ruined a few knives (fine scratches from loose diamond chips above the edge) in the beginning.  That problem has been fixed by wearing in the stones and taping my knives right up near the edge.

I wanted to see how the WE sharpens so I have a pro pack 2 coming on Monday.  I would love to start sharpening so I could compare the results.   However,  I assume that I will have to break in the new stones.

What is the best and fastest way to do this so I can start sharpening my better knives sooner.

Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 51

The only advice I have received for diamond stones is use.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I am not aware of any real shortcuts to breaking in the stones. I would suggest getting a knife that you don’t care much about and using it as a testing ground. I imagine that you will also need some time to get used to the motion of sharpening on the Wicked Edge as well. My experience was that the stones took about 10 sharpening sessions to start getting really nice results, but your results will likely vary.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I had a replacement set of 800/1000s a couple of years ago that kept chipping big chunks out of the edge on my ZDP-189 Delica.  I studied the face of the stone under ,y USB micro-scope and found a couple of clusters of grit that were oriented lengthwise and therefor resisted normal break-in.  I put a piece of plate glass in my vise and within a few strokes had removed the offending grit.  I wouldn’t recommend it as a matter of course, but a few light strokes on glass might move things along if the stones seems to stubbornly resist normal break-in.  Theoretically, the diamonds solidly attached to the platen should be just fine, but I haven’t heard anyone else who has tried it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

After about 8 knives I thought my stones were broken in, but now after about 15-20 knives I’m much happier with the edge. I grabbed every knife I could find at home, leathermans etc too then offered to sharpen friends fishing knives, worked a treat, they got better edges than they had, I got practice and broke my stones in. I’d go to the $2 store and buy a few knives if you want some cheapies then give them to your friends as camping/fishing whatever knives. The break-in period is an excellent time to practice the sharpening skills and muscle memory.

Cheers and welcome.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.