Advanced Search

Experiences with 3micron diamond stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Experiences with 3micron diamond stone

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Anybody has tried the 3microns diamond stones?
    Comments? Experiences? Any input is welcome. :woohoo:

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

+1^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I would be interested also. It seems like this should come after the first set of ceramics?

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Unfortunately link in previous post is broken. Page not found.

Did anybody have experience with 3 Micron Diamond Stone ? In which scenarios do you use it? How long was the break in period? What is special about this stone that makes it different from diamond lapping film or strops?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

No experience with the stones, but here’s the link…

Confused by 3 micron diamond stones

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That gessweincanada.com chart matches the one I got from Advancedabrasives.com almost exactly.  It lists 15 micron as being equivalent to 1200 grit and 9 micron as being equivalent to 1800 grit.  When I switched to film, the 15/9 films effectively replaced the 1200/1600 ceramics.  The scratch patterns look extremely similar and I feel that the film is more consistent.

There’s been some discussion (see cwbx’s link Confused by 3 micron diamond stones) about bad scratches with the 3 mu diamond stones.  I don’t have a pair, but I’ve had some experience with breaking in a set of 800/1000’s which revealed some freakish clusters of grit standing proud of the surface.  The clusters were oriented parallel to the stone, so they resisted normal break-in and continued to produce really bad scratches well beyond the normal break-in period.  It was when it badly chipped my ZDP Delica that I finally did an inspection and found the offending clusters.  I clamped up a short section of plate glass and worked the edge for maybe ten or twenty strokes at normal pressures and the clusters were gone.  I imagine the possibility exists for similar problem with the 3 micron stones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.