Advanced Search

Esee CR2.5

Recent Forums Main Forum Esee CR2.5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Redrooster
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello all,

Thanks to all the guys who comment and help new guys like me!

I just purchased an Esse Camp-Lore CR2.5 knife and was wondering how everyone is clamping the knife in the jaws of the Gen 3 pro. This knife has no “flat spot” for the jaws to grab with even pressure. The blade is a triangle from the back of the knife to the edge. Was wondering what you guys are doing to make it set square in the jaws. Hope i explained this right.

Thanks again,

Bill

BarmanBean
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 19

I think most people use foam tape, a piece of rubber, piece of chamois, etc. to aide in mounting FFG knives like that.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m not familiar with the Esse Camp-Lore CR2.5 knife, but looking at the photos that come up in Google, it looks to be a simple FFG (Full Flat Grind).  If you have a Gen 3 vise,it shouldn’t be a problem – maybe try a little masking tape to help get a better bite.  If not, there are a couple of tricks you can use to manage the tendency to lean to one side.  You can fiddle with it until the blade seems vertical, or you can measure the lean and compensate for it.  Try searching the forum for “mounting FFG blades”.  Or something like it – there’s been lots of discussion on it.

I measure the included angle between the main face grinds (the sides of the blade), then mount the blade with the left side flat against the left jaw.  Then I kick out the right jaw to clamp the blade firmly.  I then subtract half of the difference between left and right face from the left angle, and add half the difference to the right side.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Redrooster
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the info guys! I will try it out and see if it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.