Advanced Search

Emoji are on vacation, and a few forum usability notes…

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum Usability Notes and Requests Emoji are on vacation, and a few forum usability notes…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263
    • I’ve created this new sub-forum (Suggestion Box | Forum Usability) so we can discuss various items that would improve forum usability. Please also post your suggestions and questions here.
      • We’d love to hear your thoughts on things that would make the forums easier/better.
    • Our emoji / emoticons decided to take the summer off, without permission. Meaning, the wordpress plugin we had used for emoji isn’t compatible with the newest WordPress version, and so we’re in search of a replacement. Imagine various emoji showing up at our office with resume and cover letter in hand…
      • Thank you Mark76 for the heads up that emoji are missing.
      • We’ll find an emoji replacement as soon as we can, but so far we haven’t found a quick & easy replacement.
    • Please note the new Forum Search box, and link to Advanced Search.
    • We’re currently working to make it easier to find a user’s history of Topics, Replies, etc. You are able to see this info if you click a user’s icon/avatar from a discussion thread, but not if you go direct to his profile from the member directory. We’ll add this info to the member directory profile soon.
    • We’re planning to release a system by which users may earn Badges on their avatars, by achieving certain activity levels (number of Topics, number of Replies, etc.). We’ll post a draft here, once it’s ready, and request your feedback on the badge names and achievement levels.
    • What are your hot button requests? Please let us know by replying here.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I just wanted to post a message saying the site, including the forum, has become great and thank you, Chris (and your team?) and the WE team. And now we get even a separate subforum to improve the site 🙂 <- that’s a smiley :-), so I won’t have to mail you anymore, Chris ;-).

I think the search function is great (although I haven’t tested it extensively yet) and the ability the find a user’s history of messages would almost complete the “find” function. If somebody has even better ideas to be able to find past topics, that would help us to help newbies a lot, I think.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Hey, I see that in my previous post I accidentally found out a way to type an emoji: type :-). But then without a dot or any other character directly behind it (i.e. make sure there’s a space behind it). And then you get: 🙂

A few more experiments:

:-). gives 🙂 , :-(. gives 🙁 , ;-). gives 😉 , :-D. gives 😀 , :-|. gives 😐

They all work! 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Another tip:

The signatures are not well shown after entering (during entering it works fine). For example, this is my signature :

<a href="https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/">Molecule Polishing</a>:  my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

<br>
     <a href="https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpress.com/">Japanese Knife Reviews</a>:  my blog about Japanese kitchen knives

However, on the Edit Profile page, it shows this as the signature after entering it. Clearly a mismatch.

View post on imgur.com

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Hi Mark, for your signature issue, it’s just a “display” issue, fortunately. What’s happening is that the signature and HTML are properly entered into the backend, and look and function properly on your posts. But there’s a bug in the WordPress plugin we use (UserPRO) on the edit profile page; the HTML inside the signature is throwing it off, although it shouldn’t.

This may be one we have to live with, given that it’s a problem with the plugin’s code. But we’ll log this bug with the plugin developer and see if they can get it fixed.

Please keep them coming!

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

I found another way to get emoji’s here: type your text in Word (and include emojis), copy it into the forum, and hey, presto!

? ☹ ?

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.