Advanced Search

Edge hazy after 1200/1600 ceramic

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Edge hazy after 1200/1600 ceramic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    droc217
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

My edge looks hazy after using the 1200/1600 ceramic, but it didn’t happen the first time I used them. I went back over the blade doing 100 passes with each grit, starting with 200 grit, after I made sure I raised a bur with 100 grit. When I got done with the 1600 I expected it to look better, but it looks worse now. What’s going on?

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

These 1200/1600 ceramics were discussed and several great experiments were done. All came to conclusion that it is better to use lapping films after 1000 grit diamonds, not 1200/1600 ceramics. Here is one of the latest threads https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/what-to-do-for-mirror-edge/

droc217
    Participant

It seems like me edge isn’t being sharpened evenly, on some spots it is shiny and some it is hazy, could this be a matter of technique? The first time I used these ceramics on this blade it at least came out uniform. Also, I used mineral oil this time with the diamond stones and an unknown sharpening stone oil the last time if that makes a difference.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I wouldn’t expect a highly polished bevel with the 1200/1600 ceramic stones – maybe with the 3 micron, but I haven’t tried one yet.

With the diamond stones, you shouldn’t need any type of oil.  Oil is typically used to prevent filings from clogging up the pores on the face of the stone, but diamond stones don’t have pores and therefor don’t seem to have that tendency.  In any case, oil shouldn’t be your problem but we’ll see what others say.

otaku19
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

I’ve never used oil on diamond stones. They rinse clean enough for me with water. If I really want to clean them a little better, I’ll use a toothbrush.

droc217
    Participant

Got the lapping films. I feel like the ceramic stones were a complete and total waste of money, my edge looks much better after the 1000 grit diamond than the 1200/1600 stones… I thought maybe it was a matter of my technique, but after using the lapping films I see there is nothing wrong with my technique, it’s the hardware.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Serge
    Participant
    • Replies: 13

Same deal, I just got my set. Yup, it’s definitely feels like that special sauce, I’ve been missing for mirror finishes.

My set is bit more aggressive. It’s 5X steps. 15μm, 3μm, 0.5μm and 0.1μm, so it might require some extra work, but I clearly see the difference.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I don’t think there’s much doubt that diamond film gives you a more uniform finish than the ceramic stones and like you, I have retired my ceramics.  Like the diamond-grit stones, the ceramics can benefit from some break-in time.  When I went to film, I compared it to the finishes of ceramic and felt they were very similar.  The 15 and 9 micron film produces scratch patterns very close to the 1200 and 1600 grit ceramics.  According to my grit chart, 15 and 9 micron are equivalent to 1200 and 1800 grit.

I think the ceramics are offered as part of a kit for those buyers who need or want a complete but simple package to handle all their basic needs.  Film is a pretty big step up for those who have decided to take this serious and are willing to pay for it.  For example, I don’t think an outfitter would take a set including film on an elk hunt.  If his intent is only to sharpen his and his customers’ knives, why would he invest the money, time and effort into producing mirror finishes?

Wicked Edge has been offering film for maybe about two years now and most of the users who have gone down that route have quite a bit of experience.  From their standpoint, changing from ceramic to film was no big deal, as they’d gotten quite a bit of use out of their ceramic stones.  You are the exception in that you’ve taken that step so soon after your initial purchase.

I suggest that you offer your ceramic stones for sale under the “Pass around and Buy / Sell / Trade” forum topic.

Wicked Edge could be a bit more helpful by explaining on their website what the differences are and how a user would decide to go one way or the other.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Got the lapping films. I feel like the ceramic stones were a complete and total waste of money, my edge looks much better after the 1000 grit diamond than the 1200/1600 stones… I thought maybe it was a matter of my technique, but after using the lapping films I see there is nothing wrong with my technique, it’s the hardware.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the lapping films and I’m sorry you didn’t like the ceramics. A lot of people swear by them and they’re great if you want a fine stone for touching a knife up to a working edge. I’ve moved away from using mine most of the time because I have easy access to lots of lapping films, but if I didn’t and the cost of the films was prohibitive, I’d definitely still be using my ceramics. Tom’s suggestion that we provide better information on the website is good, and we’ll work on that.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Serge
    Participant
    • Replies: 13

I’ve moved away from using mine most of the time because I have easy access to lots of lapping films, but if I didn’t and the cost of the films was prohibitive, I’d definitely still be using my ceramics.

Clay, have you tried any other lapping films, besides of diamonds? I found that 3M is offering 268X series (Aluminum Oxide) and 468X (Silicon Carbide) PSA-backed films. I wonder how it will perform for sharpening?

Thank you.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve moved away from using mine most of the time because I have easy access to lots of lapping films, but if I didn’t and the cost of the films was prohibitive, I’d definitely still be using my ceramics.

Clay, have you tried any other lapping films, besides of diamonds? I found that 3M is offering 268X series (Aluminum Oxide) and 468X (Silicon Carbide) PSA-backed films. I wonder how it will perform for sharpening? Thank you.

We’re currently waiting on samples of the Aluminum Oxide films to see how they work and if we want to carry them.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.