Advanced Search

Edge angles below 15 degrees

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Edge angles below 15 degrees

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    flatpik6
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hello,

I am very new to sharpening, new to Wicked Edge and new to this forum. I purchased the system primarily for my use in sharpening my quality kitchen knives as I am an avid amateur cook. The knives I prefer most of german made and come from the factory with either 14 or 10 degree angles. I have no interest in reprofiling them and I’m very satisfied with them aside from becoming dull.

It appears to me that the Wicked Edge system only goes down to 15 degrees and I would like to know how I can set up the system to either the 14 or 10 degree profiles I am seeking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For what it’s worth I did purchase a digital angle gauge , (which I have yet to learn to use), in case that would be useful.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hello flatpik6 and welcome to the forum! Sharpening angles lower than 15 degrees per side can be achieved using the low angle adapter. The degree markings on the wicked edge are calibrated for a knife that sits something like 3/4 of an inch (don’t quote me on that) above the clamp and will not be accurate for knives that sit lower or higher than that. The digital angle gauge that you purchased will help you measure the actual angle you are sharpening at. Here’s a video that demonstrates how to use the angle cube.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    flatpik6
    Participant

Organic, thanks very much for the reply. You answered both questions for me and I truly appreciate that. My wife and daughters bought the rig for me a few months ago but we’ve been preoccupied with the final stages of construction on our mountain home. I”m really excited about becoming proficient with sharpening. Thanks again for the reply.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You’re welcome! I think you’ll find that this forum is frequented by a group of very knowledgeable and helpful people.

Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Hello, I am very new to sharpening, new to Wicked Edge and new to this forum. I purchased the system primarily for my use in sharpening my quality kitchen knives as I am an avid amateur cook. The knives I prefer most of german made and come from the factory with either 14 or 10 degree angles. I have no interest in reprofiling them and I’m very satisfied with them aside from becoming dull. It appears to me that the Wicked Edge system only goes down to 15 degrees and I would like to know how I can set up the system to either the 14 or 10 degree profiles I am seeking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For what it’s worth I did purchase a digital angle gauge , (which I have yet to learn to use), in case that would be useful.

I cook a LOT and prefer a thicker edge of between 18-22 degrees, it holds an edge longer IMO and reprofiling doesn’t take that long. Just a thought, maybe for a sushi knife I’d look at that sharp an angle, definitely not for normal vegetables etc IMO. Even my filleting knives are around the 20 degrees mark snd fillet like a dream. Probably the best filleter I know uses a 22 degree edge. Welcome!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Hello, I am very new to sharpening, new to Wicked Edge and new to this forum. I purchased the system primarily for my use in sharpening my quality kitchen knives as I am an avid amateur cook. The knives I prefer most of german made and come from the factory with either 14 or 10 degree angles. I have no interest in reprofiling them and I’m very satisfied with them aside from becoming dull. It appears to me that the Wicked Edge system only goes down to 15 degrees and I would like to know how I can set up the system to either the 14 or 10 degree profiles I am seeking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For what it’s worth I did purchase a digital angle gauge , (which I have yet to learn to use), in case that would be useful.

Before you attempt to sharpen your low profile 10 or 14 degree German knives please read on the forum or watch videos to determine the actual angle and find the “sweet spot”. Then please clamp the knife, use a marker pen, set up the Wicked edge, with say 1000 grit stone gently remove some marker to try to determine in actuality what angle these German knives a sharpened at. I have shopped for and purchased over 50 different kitchen knives and sharpened probably twice that number of different brand and manufactured knives, (French, German, USA, Japan, and others) and as of yet have not experienced a kitchen knife that came at 10 degree bevel, particularly German made. The narrowest angles I have found were generally Artisan made or Japanese of 13-14 degrees per side or 26 degrees inclusive. I am not saying you are wrong. But I have found that the makers sometimes describe them differently then we sharpeners interpret. Very seldom have I found a kitchen knife I couldn’t clamp and sharpen with the Wicked edge without an adapter. Only seldom do I need to employ the Wicked Edge Narrow/Low Angle Adapter or another apparatus made by Tormek to reach the needed sharpening angle and this is usually for smaller paring style knives. I don’t want you to inadvertently reprofile your edges.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    flatpik6
    Participant

Nicko and MarcH, thanks very much for your responses and input. I think I am now on the right track.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.