Advanced Search

Domino CTS XHP sharpening angle

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco Domino CTS XHP sharpening angle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I am going to re-profile my Spyderco Domino which is made of CTS XHP steel.

I have heard it is similar to D2 steel but has better corrosion resistance.

Am I going to be ok sharpening this to 17dps or is that not good for this type of steel?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Eric

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I have a Spyderco Techno with the same steel. I went down to 18dps and regretted it. Not because if the steel, but because of the blade thickness. It just didn’t look that great. However, it held up great at 18dps so I’d say you’re ok.

… But wait until you hear from someone who actually knows something 🙂

Zamfir
    Participant

Hmm..Well I went ahead and made her to 17dps. I figure since I have been testing all the others at that angle it was only fair.

I think she took kindly to the 17dps. Looks better than it did before. This was the first time I ran into the plastic housing on the stone holder hitting and causing me to come up a little short on the pivot end. Not bad though. This one I left off at the 1K grit with that real grippy bite to it.

Attachments:
    Zamfir
    Participant

I got a deep carry titanium pocket clip for it. Works out real good! This is a nice knife now that I have it all fixed up and working properly. This steel sharpens up real nice also! Now I need more stuff to cut. Too many knives to test out! Not a bad problem to have.. 👿

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Looks goooood!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Knice work…. looks very good….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

This was the first time I ran into the plastic housing on the stone holder hitting and causing me to come up a little short on the pivot end.

That’s why I took my stones to a grinder and removed the plastic lip thing, at least on one side of the stones for spyderco’s I sharpen =)

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Wow, Josh, that’s a good idea! So simple. And it makes so much sense. Although, one could argue that safety is being comprised by doing so… But, let’s be honest… The system as a whole isn’t for the faint of heart 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wow, Josh, that’s a good idea! So simple. And it makes so much sense. Although, one could argue that safety is being comprised by doing so… But, let’s be honest… The system as a whole isn’t for the faint of heart 🙂

Yes I agree that it may compromise safety somewhat… but let’s face it, there’s plenty of people who have cut themselves while sharpening on the WEPS when they HAVEN’T done this mod lol. Best bet is to get some level 5 or 6 cut proof gloves!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

So true!… The 2nd or 3rd time I used my WEPS I cut the tip of my thumb off doing edge leading, tip-to-heel strokes on a monstrous Yoshihiro slicer.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You coudl always try this: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/554/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.