Advanced Search

Diamond lapping film

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Diamond lapping film

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JCM
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

I was thinking of trying to use some lapping film between my 1600 ceramic stones and 5 micron leather strops to remove stubborn minuscule marks left over from the various stones that the strops are not removing.

Would the 9 micron diamond film be the proper grit to use for this purpose?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I was thinking of trying to use some lapping film between my 1600 ceramic stones and 5 micron leather strops to remove stubborn minuscule marks left over from the various stones that the strops are not removing. Would the 9 micron diamond film be the proper grit to use for this purpose?

JCM, look at the Wicked Edge Grit Comparison Chart: got to the website, resources  https://www.wickededgeusa.com/grits-comparison-chart-for-the-wicked-edge-sharpener/

That answers a lot of those type of questions, 1600 grit ceramics are much finer grit size than 9mcg lapping film. I think you’re results with the 1600 will improve if: 1) they break-in a little more (some seem to have a sintered coating that wears off) and 2) if you concentrate on your technique and use them longer, (ie more strokes). Hope this helps….That being said the lapping film does do a very good job removing scratches as you progress down through the finer grits films.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

JCM – I think you’d be very happy going from the 1600 ceramics to the 6 micron film.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    JCM
    Participant

I was thinking of trying to use some lapping film between my 1600 ceramic stones and 5 micron leather strops to remove stubborn minuscule marks left over from the various stones that the strops are not removing. Would the 9 micron diamond film be the proper grit to use for this purpose?

JCM, look at the Wicked Edge Grit Comparison Chart: got to the website, resources https://www.wickededgeusa.com/grits-comparison-chart-for-the-wicked-edge-sharpener/ That answers a lot of those type of questions, 1600 grit ceramics are much finer grit size than 9mcg lapping film. I think you’re results with the 1600 will improve if: 1) they break-in a little more (some seem to have a sintered coating that wears off) and 2) if you concentrate on your technique and use them longer, (ie more strokes). Hope this helps….That being said the lapping film does do a very good job removing scratches as you progress down through the finer grits films.

Thanks for the heads-up on the grit comparison chart, I hadn’t stumbled across that yet.  Very informative!

As for number of strokes, I am doing 100+ for the ceramics and strops.  Is that sufficient?

JCM
    Participant

JCM – I think you’d be very happy going from the 1600 ceramics to the 6 micron film.

Thanks for the advice!  Would you recommend using an additional lapping film after the 6 micron and before my 1 and 0.5 micron balsa strops?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The jump from 6 micron to 1 micron is far too big. I’d advise even a couple lapping films in between. (My own guideline: make sure the next grit is about twice as large, i.e. half the micron size, as the previous one.)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

As for number of strokes, I am doing 100+ for the ceramics and strops. Is that sufficient?

I’m a proponent for technique. I really believe once your stones are broken well then proper pressure and good proper technique can achieve what a larger number of strokes with poor technique never will. That being said I do take a lot of time on my knives but I don’t count strokes. I do constantly visually inspect my edge for my progress either using a little LED flashlight to see how the scratches in the reflection are diminishing or (also handheld) I use a USB Microscope as many of us do.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Thanks for the advice! Would you recommend using an additional lapping film after the 6 micron and before my 1 and 0.5 micron balsa strops?

I would also recommend a few grits between 6 and 1 micron. I go from the 1500 diamond plate directly to the 6 micron lapping film> 3 micron lapping film> 1.5 micron lapping film. Here’s an example of how that finish looks on a Benchmade 530 that I did a few weeks back.

photo 20170310_014830964_iOS_zpsgjeujt49.jpg  photo 20170310_015111046_iOS_zps5beamvh5.jpg  photo 20170310_015358828_iOS_zpsro0cpmom.jpg

JCM
    Participant

That’s exactly the mirrored look I am working to achieve on some of my blades.  Thanks for posting the pics and for the advice!

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Nice job Organic.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.