Advanced Search

Detail Stripping the Pro3?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Detail Stripping the Pro3?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

I’m sure detail stripping of the pro3 will become necessary at some point in time for cleaning and inspection.

WE machines are all pretty simple to lifelong gearheads like myself and I anticipate no serious issues with disassembly or reassembly but I would appreciate any thoughts regarding potential pitfalls, tips, tricks and etc.

<hr />

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

When you put it back together, make sure the crank handle is at the front or you’ll be doing it all over.  Doh!  Really, aside from putting the cam follower on the wrong end of the spring, that’s about the only thing that you can get wrong and before you ask, yes, I did it.  The crank handle.  Once.

As long as you’re trying this, you might consider one of the tricks users have tried to keep the cam mechanism clean.  I used some HVAC foil tape as shown in the photo below.  Any kind of tape will do.  I put a little dab of white lithium grease on the cam before I sealed it up.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

Thanks for the info. I’ve had plenty of those moments of putting the first part in backwards and not realizing it until the last part wouldn’t fit. That’s how the neighbor kids expand their vocabularies.

I cover the sides of the vise and other openings with cheap masking tape. Any residue from any tape has, so far, cleaned up with rubbing or denatured alcohol.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.