Advanced Search

Desktop air purifier

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Desktop air purifier

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Right now, I am thinking about a desktop air purifier at this point, to protect against the shed abrasive diamond particles as well as metal dust. I know some have tried magnets but this would only ‘solve’ half the problem. Ideas?

Josh,

I was going to reply to this right after you posted it, then got involved in other things and forgot!  I have that exact air purifier and probably would not recommend it for this purpose (without some modifications to the exhaust).  First (though not functionally significant), it is noisy on high speed.  From a functional standpoint, the exhaust is very strong and shoots straight up in the air directly behind the intake.  If placed close to your sharpener (which you would probably need to do … see last two sentences), I would think that more particles would be lifted into the air, before settling and sucked up into the intake (greater chance of them coming closer to you and within breathing range).  I guess if you were to create some type of deflector (which directed the exhaust back … away from the intake … and down) that would minimize this.  In addition, I would think you would need to keep the unit fairly close to your sharpener to be effective.  Metal/sharpening media dust is probably heaver than the regular type of dust and such the unit was designed to filter.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

After Josh said that with a strong LED light, he can see dust particles floating in the air around his WEPS, I tried the same.  A possible difference is that I have a bright LED desk lamp that directs light downwards from directly over the WEPS.  At any rate, I couldn’t see any dust floating around.  I do see a fine dusting of metal particles around the base – mostly at the opposite end.  My Swiffer easily picks these up, along with the dusting at the blade itself.

FWIW, I don’t use any liquid and my workspace is relatively cool at 64 F .  The humidity is at about 40%.

It seems to me that if airborne dust poses a potential hazard, it would make sense to not use a loupe to inspect the edge of the blade in the vise.  Why stick your face right down into the worst concentration of the hazard?  Another argument for USB microscopes.

Maybe I just can’t see the dust in the air because my eyes are degenerating to some degree at 72 yrs old, but at my last exam, my vision was at 20/20 with glasses.  I had cataract surgery in one eye two years ago and what’s interesting is the color difference.  My new eye sees white light, but the other (old) eye sees everything with a warm yellow tinge.  According to the opthamologist, this is normal for aging eyes.  Looks like nicotine staining to me and I quit smoking in ’83.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

Assuming the source water was tap or spring water, distilled water is pure enough for nearly all lab applications. It is used for:

• solvent to prepare solution
    • analytical blank
    • calibration standard
    • cleaning glassware
    • equipment sterilization
    • making high purity water

The purity of deionized water depends on the source water. Deionized water is used when a soft solvent is needed. It is used for:

• cooling applications where it’s important to avoid depositing minerals
    • microbiology autoclaves
    • many chemistry experiments involving ionic compounds
    • washing glassware, especially the final rinse
    • solvent preparation
    • analytical blanks
    • calibration standards
    • in batteries

As you can see, in some situations either distilled or deionized water is fine to use. Because it is corrosive, deionized water is not used in situations involving long term contact with metals.
    <h3>SUBSTITUTING DISTILLED AND DEIONIZED WATER</h3>
    You don’t generally want to substitute one type of water for the other, but if you have deionized water made from distilled water that has been sitting out exposed to air, it becomes ordinary distilled water. It’s fine to use this type of leftover deionized water in place of distilled water. Unless you’re certain it won’t affect the outcome, do not substitute one type of water for another for any application that specifies which type to use.

My 2 cents, because distilled water has nothing in it, it does some cleaning effect.  You would be surprised at just how much garbage is in your water. I drink and cook with distilled water, and it dramatically changes the taste of some foods.  If you would see the amount of dirt in about 4 gallons of water, you would be surprised

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I hate dust.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

How do you use this deionized water, particularly to get metal particles from the air? With one of these devices or in another way?

Prevention is the key! I generally follow Clay’s instructions in this video (Click here-Metal Dust Capture) , however, I use distilled water instead of tap water.   I make my own with a product from Waterwise (Click here for link).  They also happen to manufacture and distribute a desk top Air purifier which some may be interested in (Click here for more).  I have gone to distilled water for everything I clean these days.  I even use distilled water in a ultrasonic cleaner (Click here to see My device) .  To learn more about a ultrasonic cavitation (Click here). In the US we can purchase distilled water in the automotive section.  They sell it in grocery stores as well, normally, adjacent to the bottled water.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

You would be surprised at just how much garbage is in your water. I drink and cook with distilled water, and it dramatically changes the taste of some foods.  If you would see the amount of dirt in about 4 gallons of water, you would be surprised

Your body needs that “dirt” to live

What Are the Dangers of Drinking Distilled Water?

“Drinking distilled water robs your body of its natural source for many minerals essential to good health. This results in mineral loss in the body with increases your risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, hypertension, coronary artery disease and premature aging.”

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.