Advanced Search

Curved/Recurved blades

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Curved/Recurved blades

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

Today I did my new Spyderco Schempp Rock on my Wicked Edge. Here’s a stock photo showing the blade shape:

I have to say, I was really pleasantly surprised with how well the system, even in the flat paddles only handled the curves, especially the recurve approaching the choil. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out the clamping position (I was about an inch and a half off the tip), but it all worked very well through the curves (down to .5u strops)

I did have to back down to 50 grit for the initial profile and really grind on it. Even though I was at 18 degrees and it matched the factory angle well through most of the blade (sharpie test), the factory grind was wickedly inconsistent throughout the knife. I love having the ease of doing larger knives on the wicked edge, and I can’t imaging doing them on the main competitor (although I have not tried).

I also did a new Richmond Remedy (great Gyuto) last weekend at 15 degrees. Man that long blade in CPM154 at 15 degrees took a lot of work, but now it will slice and electron off an atom :woohoo:

So for those wondering, the wicked edge can handle slight recurves (as in the Schempp Rock) pretty well. That said, even though Clay has said he’s done Spyderco Civilians (and serrated at that!) on the wicked edge, I’d have to see it to believe it, but I surprised myself on the Schempp Rock.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

A very good write up of your experiences with curved and recurved surfaces using the WEPS with the straight paddles. I hope others read this to their benefit!

Well done 🙂
    Leo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.