Advanced Search

Commemorative Edition

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Commemorative Edition

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys,

After a very long journey, all Wicked Edge sharpeners are now 100% made in the US. We spent a big chunk of last year working out all the details and making some design tweaks to the WE100 platform. The reason for moving production was to have much tighter control over quality and timing. Also, I’m really motivated by creating jobs locally, which is not so much political but stems from a desire to help my community thrive. To mark the move, we made 100 USA themed commemorative units:

WE100-USA-2-sm
    WE100-USA-1-sm

So, there will only be 100 and we haven’t set pricing or when we’ll start selling them, but I thought you guys would like to see them first, before we show them to the public.

-Clay

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a couple more shots:

WE100-USA-4-sm
    WE100-USA-3-sm

-Clay

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That looks great Clay! Thank you for making a solid product and standing behind it with top notch customer service.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

sooo awesome, congrats Clay!! Interesting re-design of the ball joint arms too 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Looks really, really nice!  Have you gone to Ny-lok on the micro-adjust screws to eliminate the  locking screw?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, that not only looks great, but impressive, too! And congrats with getting even more control over the production process.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Looks really, really nice! Have you gone to Ny-lok on the micro-adjust screws to eliminate the locking screw?

I see in another post that there is no micro-adjust capability for this edition.  Gee, I was thinking that NyLok would have been a cool thing.  What is that “knob” on the inboard end of what would normally be the micro-adjust screw?

This is yet again another version of the WEPS, with each having different features.  Maybe there should be a page somewhere on the site describing (or comparing) all of the different versions that are available as well as those which have been obsoleted.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s a good idea! I also see that the PP3 now starts at 10 degrees (great for Japanese knives!). Maybe I’m mistaken, but I always thought it started at 15 degrees or so.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Looks really, really nice! Have you gone to Ny-lok on the micro-adjust screws to eliminate the locking screw?

I see in another post that there is no micro-adjust capability for this edition. Gee, I was thinking that NyLok would have been a cool thing. What is that “knob” on the inboard end of what would normally be the micro-adjust screw? This is yet again another version of the WEPS, with each having different features. Maybe there should be a page somewhere on the site describing (or comparing) all of the different versions that are available as well as those which have been obsoleted.

We’re working on a good comparison matrix of all the features in each model that will launch with the new site soon. Here is a preview: https://wickededge.myshopify.com/collections/sharpeners. When you visit the page, add the WE100, WE120 and WE130 to the comparison by checking the little boxes underneath each product listing. Shortly after you check the boxes, you’ll see a button come up to visit the comparison. We’re still working on the formatting, especially trying to differentiate the category headings and tighten up the whole page so most of it stays ‘above the fold’.

We decided to try to make some of the more advanced features available at lesser prices and since we’re making these in the US now, we have a lot more flexibility about what we can include. So the general concept is that there are essentially 3 platforms to choose from (soon to be 4): the WE100 or Precision Sharpener platform, the Field & Sport platform and the Gen 3/Commercial platform. The 4th is still top secret. Within each platform are different hardware packages. An example is the WE100 platform. The basic WE100 is almost identical to the original except it now has the ball joints. We’ve left off the micro-adjustment to save cost and make it more of an entry level unit. The WE120 expands the angle range and adds the micro-adjust. The WE130 includes the expanded angle range and micro-adjust and also features the new Gen 3 jaws. The Field & Sport has to versions off of one platform and the only differences are that the F&S Pro has the Gen 3 jaws and comes with the 800/1000 stones. We’re redesigning the Commercial series to be based off of the Gen 3 platform and it will essentially be a bigger version of the same with a larger angle range and a locking cabinet.

The ‘knob’ you noticed is just the head of a button head socket head cap screw that we’ve modified on a lathe to attach the rod end to the mini L-bracket. To add the micro-adjust, you’d replace that screw with a custom screw with a knurled knob on the inside and a matching custom knurled jam nut on the outside. We are looking at Nylok to help prevent accidental adjustment of the screw on the units with micro-adjustment.

-Clay

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

That’s a good idea! I also see that the PP3 now starts at 10 degrees (great for Japanese knives!). Maybe I’m mistaken, but I always thought it started at 15 degrees or so.

I ‘m pretty sure that’s because the PP3 includes the low angle adapter, but I could be wrong.

Alan

wickededge
    Keymaster

I ‘m pretty sure that’s because the PP3 includes the low angle adapter, but I could be wrong.

You’re correct 🙂

-Clay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.