Advanced Search

Clamp Marring blade surface?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Clamp Marring blade surface?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Never Dull
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

I have had the clamp marr the surface of the knife. I put blue painters tape on it but that doesnt last long and the knife can move easily. Does anyone else have a suggestion, or what do you use?

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

I’ve never seen the wicked edge mar any of my blades, and I don’t use any tape. Are you clamping them tight enough that you can lift the whole assembly by the knife handle? is it possible the knife is moving in the clamp on you?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I have had the clamp marr the surface of the knife. I put blue painters tape on it but that doesnt last long and the knife can move easily. Does anyone else have a suggestion, or what do you use?

dschur’s suggestion about making sure the knife is clamped tightly enough so that it doesn’t move is correct. Beyond that, I’ve cut a small square (1″x.75″) of leather chamois and wrapped it over the spine of highly polished blades that I needed to protect and that works very well. Another user recently recommended electrical tape. I haven’t had the opportunity to test it yet, but it does sound like it would work.

-Clay

Never Dull
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

Good suggestion Clay. Yes, I clamp it tight. Kung fu grip tight most of the time. It marred the coating on a cold steel blade and a satin finished Al Mar Hawk. Will keep vigilent and advise. Thanks for a great product and support.
    Ed

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

Ahh, coated blades – That’s why I’ve never marred mine – I have no coated blades.

I do have a bead blasted Lone Wolf Lobo though, I did not get any marring on that with no tape.

CAWalter
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 16

Put the blue tape on the spine, not the clamp, holds well and no marks.

CAW

don griffith
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 51

dschur’s suggestion about making sure the knife is clamped tightly enough so that it doesn’t move is correct. Beyond that, I’ve cut a small square (1″x.75″) of leather chamois and wrapped it over the spine of highly polished blades that I needed to protect and that works very well. Another user recently recommended electrical tape. I haven’t had the opportunity to test it yet, but it does sound like it would work.

Thought I’d read through the forums to pre-load my brain so I can be productive with the Pro Pack when it gets here. In the mean time, I use a Lansky which is giving me some experience with clamping.
    I use a piece of chamois (synthetic) also. It works much better when I wet it and wring it first. When it dries out clamped in place, it continues to hold well. But not so good when I clamp it dry.
    I would not use any kind of plasticized tape. Maybe fabric tape would do. The electrical tape could flow under pressure (called cold flow) and not protect very well. Plus it leaves a notoriously nasty adhesive residue. Spend enough time sharpening… 🙂
    Fabric and the chamois will compress but are strong enough not to shear and won’t flow.
    Eagerly awaiting my WEPS. Shhh. Don’t tell my wife…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.