Advanced Search

Ceramic 1200/1600 stones OR 1500 diamond + 9micron aluminium oxide lapping film

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Ceramic 1200/1600 stones OR 1500 diamond + 9micron aluminium oxide lapping film

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel_G
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Looking for some advice… I have 100 – 1000 grit diamonds and trying to decide whether to go for the Ceramic 1200/1600 stones OR 1500 diamond + 9micron aluminium oxide lapping film. I’m looking for sharpness and how long the edge will hold (a mirror polish is less important to me. Also cost is an important factor and I guess having to replace the 9micron lapping strips will cost more over time.

I’ve looked over the forum and couldn’t find an answer to this question though sorry if I’ve missed the answer elsewhere

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hello Daniel,

If I had to pick between the 1500 and the 1200/1600 ceramic stones I think the 1500 would be a good choice with or without the lapping film. If you do decide to go with the 1500 I would consider the 6 or 3 micron diamond lapping film though instead of the aluminum oxide. They are cheaper than the diamond films but don’t last as long. The diamond films will do 2 or 3 times as many knives as the aluminum in my opinion. Also the 1500 stone is approximately 3 micron diamonds so 6 micron lapping film of either type might be a better fit.

The ceramics are a good stone, more expensive and do take a while to break in although there have been some that have apparently sped the break in period up by lapping, or rubbing them together if you will, 1200 to 1200, 1600 to 1600. If cost is a determining factor the ceramics at $90, the 1500 with 6 micron diamond film would be $100. A sheet, 10 strips of film should sharpen about 50 to 60 knives or maybe a few more than that depending on how you use them. The 1500 stone is a great finishing stone, even if you don’t buy the lapping film right away.

Hope this helps.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Looking for some advice…  I’m looking for sharpness and how long the edge will hold (a mirror polish is less important to me. Also cost is an important factor. I’ve looked over the forum and couldn’t find an answer to this question though sorry if I’ve missed the answer elsewhere

I agree with SKSharp and highly recommend the 1500 diamond.  As you say, if sharpness, edge longevity and economy are your main concern, I’d stay away from Lapping films all together.  100 through 1500 diamond stones followed by strops will give you a sharp durable edge on most every steel knife once you get your technique down.  The films can impart a thinner apex and sharper, shinier edge but it will lack durability. IMO.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

I’m relatively new to the Wicked Edge, but I’m getting pretty wild results with 100 – 1500 grit diamond stones followed by lapping films and strops. No ceramics whatsoever.

When doing kitchen knives or yard work fixed blades I don’t use the lapping films at all. I go up to 1500 grit diamond at 18-20 DPS, lower the angle by half a degree and do a handful of light passes with my kangaroo strops. Incredibly sharp edges that still have a bit of bite.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Daniel_G
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Thanks a lot for the advice

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I too would go for the 1500 stones and the 9 micron lapping tape. (And perhaps the 6 micron tape.) The lapping tape is the best invention since the WE stones: very accurate and consistent. And the 1500 stone is great, too, just like the 100-1000 grit stones.

That said, the 1400-1600 ceramic stones also work fine. You need a little longer to do your bevel, but the results are great too. And you can use them much longer than the lapping tape.

In fact, I use both the 1500 stones and the 9 micron lapping tape as well as the 1400-1600 ceramic stones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

..In fact, I use both the 1500 stones and the 9 micron lapping tape as well as the 1400-1600 ceramic stones.

Mark,

Do you use the 1200# / 1600# ceramics with the 1500# / 9 micron in the same sharpening session or do you interchange them depending on the knife? How do the ceramic abrasives fit into your typical sharpening progression? I’ve read your blog posts on the ceramics and I’m just curious how you choose to utilize them in your current setup.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

No, not in the same sharpening session. I’m not quite sure how the 9 micron film behaves compared to the 1600 ceramics, although I suspect they are about the same. In addition, I have much confidence in the micron rating of the 9 micron film. So I use the 1500 – 9micron progression more often.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.