Advanced Search

Break-in diamond stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Break-in diamond stones

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

I went to a small section of plate glass and in a dozen or so strokes had knocked off the offending clusters.  I don’t recommend it, but if you’re going thru the same difficulties, it’s an option.

What is a “plate glass”? Is it a piece of regular glass like glass in windows? Is it some sort of glass plate to serve food? Is it tempered glass? Is it some special glass? Sorry for dumb questions. 

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Plate glass is a “cast” form of glass tempered for use in large windows.  The glass I used was about 6mm thick (0.243″) and fit nicely into the original WEPS vise.  I don’t think for our purposes here that it’s an extraordinary form of glass.  It’s quite a bit harder than steel, not as hard as diamonds.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Plate glass is a “cast” form of glass tempered for use in large windows. The glass I used was about 6mm thick (0.243″) and fit nicely into the original WEPS vise.

Oh… You are right. For some reason I thought that you stroke flat surface of stone against flat surface side of glass like for lapping flattening. Thank you. You saved me from many beginners mistakes.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

And don’t forget breaking in a knife is a continuous process. It’s not as if a knife has suddenly broken in after x sharpenings. Just take it easy, start on a few beater knives and everything will work fine.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

gruntsoldier
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

I got a new set up the other day and was wondering about this myself.  Figured I would come here and see.  I completely reprofiled my Busse Infidu with the brand new stones.  there was a lot of dust but I didn’t think much of it.  I did notice that the scratches on the edge were very deep.  I went up to 1000 grit while waiting for my ceramics and strops to show up.  I have to say even at 1000 grit it’s polished but still has the scratches.  I didn’t even think about breaking them in on cheaper blades.  I guess it’s too late now lol

I will say the Infidu is stupid sharp.  still slightly toothy though.  will push cut paper no problem.  The last 1.5 inches of blade at the tip took forever.  It must have been at like 60 degree’s lol.  I reprofiled to 20 dps and it’s awesome now.  Can’t wait to get my ceramics and strops to take it to the next level

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

You’ve heard of a muscle car being referred to as “a fifty footer?”  Looks great, but get closer than fifty feet and you can see all the flaws.  1000 grit diamond edges are like that.  All scratches up close, but from six feet away it looks pretty shiny.

A toothy 1000-grit edge is good.  It may or may not shave the hair on your arm, but it’ll do almost any job that’s asked of it.

This is still a subjective concept, but some of us are noticing that edges are less toothy where you use edge-leading strokes only.  On the WEPS, this means downward strokes, either from heel to tip or from tip to heel.  The idea is that edge-trailing (upward) strokes tend to break out larger bits along the edge.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    gruntsoldier
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

thank you for that reply.  I did almost all downward strokes on it as I’m still learning.  I did 2 esee kitchen knives first and they were a breeze and are super sharp at 15 dps.  they both shave hair no problem.  I like a toothier edge but I’m one of those that gets slightly addicted to doing the most lol.  My Infidu will definitely shave also but not quite were I want it.  I ordered the ceramic stones and 2 sets of strops yesterday so I’m excited to see how much further I can get it.  I’m still in the phase of trying to see what cuts best on rope and zip tie type stuff.  seat belts ect.  I’m a officer and that is what I use my stuff for most of the time.  I look at it all as a learning process just like this information about breaking in the stones. which I definitely didn’t do However it was a extreme reprofile so I think that it was probably best using the new stones first.

again thank you for the info!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Dingle1911
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

I just got my first WE system (Field & Sport Pro) a few days ago. I have not sharpened 4 knives, one that I re-profiled (25 dps to 19 dps). The first knife I sharpened was very dusty, but the 4th seemed less so. I am not seeing better results too. I am not sure if the diamond stones are breaking in or if my technique is getting better. I think it is both. I have yet to try and sharpen a knife that I care about yet. I am progressing my way through cheap knives that I don’t care about.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge world of sharp and the WE Forum. Keep doing what you’re doing. The stones will break in and the knives will improve. You’ll go from doubting your purchase to “wow that’s sharp”, shortly. I think it was about 10 knives for me till I got them consistently sharp. Sounds like you’re making good progress and will get results closer to what you expect soon.  Stay with it. Don’t get disillusioned.

Keep the Band-aids close.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.