Advanced Search

Bolster interference

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Bolster interference

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

Sorry…. newbie and lots of questions.  Started my first folding knife sharpening.  Because of the geometry of this knife the plastic guard just under the stone hits the bolster preventing the stone hitting the last 1/8″ of the heel of the edge????  Not sure how to fix this.  I could grind or file the plastic down…. or maybe on some knives I will disassemble the knife so I am sharpening only the blade with no handle??  Ideas??

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

That is basically what you’d need to do. The plastic of the stone handles does offer some protection for your fingers, so, if you file it down, keep that in mind while sharpening.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Yup those are three ways to deals with it, skip the last little bit, file away the bolster, and disassembly to sharpen when able. Others have notched the knife metal with a small fine file to remove the metal where it meets the bolster so you in effect remove the blade metal you have to sharpen next to the bolster. Then you are just sharpening the bevel back to heel stopping at the notch so not to scratch the bolster.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

With some EDC’s you can partially fold the knife and with some knives this will let you get the whole blade. Personally thought I usually put a sharpening notch in the heel of the blade. This also makes the knife less likely to cut you when closing the knife. Don’t ask how I found that out! LOL

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Another thing you could do is make a sharpening notch in the knife. Jost. It isn’t for amateurs, but Josh (Razordedgeknife on this forum) has done that for me on a Spyderco.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.