Advanced Search

Blade chips

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys,

I’ve been sharpening my knife on the WE, it’s a Spyderco Endura 4 with VG10 Steel. When shredding paper to test the blade if felt very snatch after I finished in a toothy 600 grit finish, normally my knifes on the stonem(600grit) shread paper for fun, however looking under the monacual it appears the blade edge is chipping.

What is causing this and what can I do to try and address this etc. I’ve never been impressed with the knife tbh, when it is sharpened it’s awesome but after skinning a couple of rabbits its bout again……I do think it is anything I am doing but hey who knows?

Any idea guys?

Steve

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Steve, what angle do you have your blade sharpened at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hiya mate,

My blade angle is set to 20 degrees per side.

Cheers

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My bet is that your stones are yet fully broken in. The diamonds are attached with a nickel plating process and occasionally you’ll find clusters of diamonds which are oriented in such a way as to make them really difficult to knock off. With particularly hard steels, this can produce chipping, as I experienced with my Delica 4 in ZDP-189 with my new 800/1000 grit stones. Here’s a micro-photo (about 150X) of one of the clusters I had to deal with:

Diamond plates are loaded with an array of diamond particles several layers deep. The base layer is the target layer. All those above it are intended to be sloughed off with the break-in process.

Clusters which are oriented longitudinally are particularly difficult to dislodge. I eventually resorted to working the stones over a section of plate glass. The clusters were removed in just a few minutes and all the chipping problems were history.

Attachments:
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

My bet is that your stones are yet fully broken in. The diamonds are attached with a nickel plating process and occasionally you’ll find clusters of diamonds which are oriented in such a way as to make them really difficult to knock off. With particularly hard steels, this can produce chipping, as I experienced with my Delica 4 in ZDP-189 with my new 800/1000 grit stones. Here’s a micro-photo (about 150X) of one of the clusters I had to deal with:

Diamond plates are loaded with an array of diamond particles several layers deep. The base layer is the target layer. All those above it are intended to be sloughed off with the break-in process.

Clusters which are oriented longitudinally are particularly difficult to dislodge. I eventually resorted to working the stones over a section of plate glass. The clusters were removed in just a few minutes and all the chipping problems were history.

Exactly what he said. BTW I experienced chipping of my spiderco vg10 blades during hard use not during the sharpening process. Now I use 17dps then throw on a 22dps microbevel and the edge is not chipping anymore during use. So just break in your diamonds some more and you should be good to go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.