Advanced Search

Bevel issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Spike2kx
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

Ok so I’m fairly new to the we, have had it about 2 months now. My question is I see people using this system and they get nice small bevels like on crk sebenzas at 17dps convex edge where I’m getting larger bevels. I recently acquired a chaves 228 and resharpened it and the bevel came out a lot larger than expected I did 20dps on it. I’m kind of at a loss I like the look of small bevels like the crk and would prefer to keep them like that. any insight or help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Spike2kx!

I think there could be two things. One is the angle you’re sharpening at. The smaller the angle, the larger the bevel will appear. This is related to the thickness of the knife: the same angle on a thick knife will appear larger than on a thin knife. So one of the things you could do is increase the angle.

Another thing that could be the case is when the bevel is uneven in thickness. In that case you’re having problems in finding the “sweet spot”. You can find some help here: https://www.wickededgeusa.com/finding-the-sweet-spot-positioning-your-knife-from-front-to-back/ .

This instruction may be useful, too: https://www.wickededgeusa.com/how-to-find-your-angle/ .

Success! And let us know how you’re doing.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Spike2kx
    Participant

My bevels are coming out even.  I get a burr on both sides and also use the same amount of strokes on each side. I’ll post pictures when it gets light out of my Chaves.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The issue is the reprofiling. The reprofiling will certainly help it cut a TON better than the factory angles, but it will also make your bevels wider (from a side view). If you want small bevels you have 2 options…

1. don’t reprofile, just match the factory angle and sharpen that way
    2. have it reground to thin out the thickness of the primary grind and dial it in to where you want it

Here is an example of an Emerson sharpened many times and the edge was really wide and thick. It was then reground and nice and thin and easy to sharpen again.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Spike2kx
    Participant

Also I have the we100 with old style arms. I’ve noticed I can’t get the set screws for angle adjustment to stay put. I’ve got a lot of slop and play with it. Could that be part of the problem? I bought this unit brand new in March.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Also I have the we100 with old style arms. I’ve noticed I can’t get the set screws for angle adjustment to stay put. I’ve got a lot of slop and play with it. Could that be part of the problem? I bought this unit brand new in March.

The blade thickness and grind type are the main reasons for the wide bevel you’re seeing.  I looked up the knife… it seems pretty thick.  As RazorEdgeKnives said… thinning the whole knife (an excellent service he offers btw), would give you the result you’re seeking.

The “slop and play” isn’t the issue… but can cause you other problems.  You might contact Wicked Edge and describe what exactly is going on… might be something that needs addressing.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spike2kx
    Participant

I will get ahold of them. I know to call not email.. it’s crazy the knobs you tighten down for the angle adjustment come lose and the bracket that slides along the angle bar wiggles back and forth. There’s been a couple times that the whole angle rod comes completely lose and backs all the way out to 30 degrees.

Spike2kx
    Participant

Is it possible that I could be pushing to hard when using the stones. I just did a knife for a buddy 23dps and it’s the smallest bevel I’ve ever done. I lightened up to just the weight of the stone and did it

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I think Josh (Razoredge) is right. Just look at his pics, which are pretty convincing to me. I don’t think it’s the old arms, at least if they work as they should. I’ve used these for years. And yes, there is some sloppiness, but don’t overestimate it. You can still create very good bevels with them. If the rod comes loose, that’s a different matter of course.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Spike2kx
    Participant

The arms do come lose I’ve gotta retighten each at least once per sharpening.  I’m going to upgrade them. They wobble back and Goeth on the bar and I think that causes the thumb screws to back out. So I’ll be ordering them soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.