Advanced Search

Another Clamping Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Another Clamping Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Jonas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 6

I just got my WEPS today and tried it out. I was trying to sharpen an ESEE Izula. I tried using a small piece of a jar opener(since I had no foam tape) and no matter how much I tightened it, if I tried to lift my WEPS up off the table like the videos it felt loose. I stopped because I was afraid I might strip out clamp. Also I noticed mine has no hole for the bottom screw of the clamp. Is this right? If so can someone explain to me how to properly use the bottom screw. Thanks

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Replies: 80

Just snug the top clamp and tighten the bottom until its firmly in place. The trick with ffg is to have a rather thick shim to take up the taper especially on the thick knives like the izula.

Also the bottom screw just pushes the bottom the clamp like a lever. No hole

Joshua Jonas
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

Ok I’ll try something else as a “filler”. Thanks

Larry
    Participant
    • Replies: 44

I don`t use any tools to tighten the clamp, but I do torque on it pretty hard by hand.

Lucky

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I wouldn’t necessarily try to lift the WEPS for every clamp job. You can get it clamped well enough that the blade won’t move while stoning even though it might want to move if you try to lift the whole WEPS. As others have said, snug the top screw firm, but not mega tight, and then the main clamp force comes from the bottom screw.

Rgds,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.