Advanced Search

Angle cube measure a difference of 1° between sides

Recent Forums Main Forum Angle cube measure a difference of 1° between sides

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    WouterB.
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi,

I just bought my Wicked Edge 3 system 2 weeks ago together with an angle cube.  If I mount a regular kitchen knife and measure the angle degree on both sides it can sometimes differ 1°.  Is that normal, could I do something about it?

Sorry, maybe a stupid question …

Best regards,

Wouter B.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hi Wouter, welcome to the forum!

I assume you mean the gen. 3 pro when you say the Wicked Edge 3. You should be able to correct for any discrepancy between the two sides using the micro adjustment. I have experienced the issue where the two sides differ in angle when both of the micro adjustments are set flush against the posts, but this has not yet prevented me from being able to get matching angles on either side when using the micro adjustments to correct for the difference.

I do recall seeing Clay mention in an old thread that there is a maximum difference in angle between the two sides that they use for QC on the gen. 3 pro setups, but I don’t recall how much the threshold was. You can always email or call Wicked Edge if you think it is an issue.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi WouterB, and welcome aboard!

I assume you are measuring the opposite faces of a relatively wide kitchen knife.  I’ve done that on several occasions recently and seen the same type of errors.  I think that a one-degree difference is probably quite common and not something to be concerned about.  If you set your left and right stones for the same angle, the resulting included angle will be the same ( 2 X angle) regardless of any tilt in the blade.   In your case, the apex will be “pointed” one degree to one side.

A one-degree error will also make one bevel slightly different in width from one side to the other, but probably not a noticeable difference, especially on thin blades.

One test which might be revealing is to reverse the knife in the vise (so that the tip is pointed towards you).  If the problem is with the blade, it will lean to the opposite side.  If the vise is the source of the problem, the blade will lean to the same side.   Hmm…  Now I’m going to have to give that a try.

I think the error is probably a result of the flatness of the contact points in the vise, or the lack of flatness.  If one side makes contact slightly higher than the other, the blade would find an angle perpendicular to a line drawn between the points of contact.  In your case, that angle is skewed by one degree.  I suppose you could file the surfaces to true them up, but you will likely make the situation worse.  But as I said, I don’t think it’s worth worrying about.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.