Advanced Search

Accessories for the GO?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Accessories for the GO?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tacocat
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

All,

I will be a first time user of the Wicked Edge system. I am about to pre-order the Wicked Edge Go and would like some advice on what accessories at a bare minimum I should get with my initial order.

I just want to try out the system and get my feet wet. If I like it and it fits my needs, I may go all in and get the big kit.

Should I order a strop set and paste and let the included 200-600 abrasives be my baseline for the Go?

Thanks,

Andy

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

All, I will be a first time user of the Wicked Edge system. I am about to pre-order the Wicked Edge Go and would like some advice on what accessories at a bare minimum I should get with my initial order. I just want to try out the system and get my feet wet. If I like it and it fits my needs, I may go all in and get the big kit. Should I order a strop set and paste and let the included 200-600 abrasives be my baseline for the Go? Thanks, Andy

My first thought… if you’re just wanting to “try out the system”… nothing.  You can get a great edge off a 600g stone (once it breaks in a bit, it’ll be even better).

If you want to add one thing to clean up the edge… I would consider the “stone blanks with aluminum platens”… and then add a sheet of the 9m Aluminum Oxide lapping paper.  (Unless you’re sharpening some high “wear resistant” steel, then maybe make it a sheet of diamond).  The general trend has been toward the lapping papers over the strops… and IMO anyway, might work better in a portable kit.  Another advantage,,, you don’t have to make any adjustments, that you might have to with leather.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

cbwx34 is right about the 600 grit and trying the film-on-platen route, but I’d suggest getting a pair of the 800/1000-grit stones first.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tacocat
    Participant

Which of the two suggestions will produce a sharper knife? Will only getting to 600 grit and then lapping film get to to a great edge or will I be better to go to 800 / 1000 abrasives?

Both are good suggestions and I suspect I’m going to like the system and invest into a bigger kit. I could try the cheaper route with the lapping strips because if I upgrade to the bigger kit, it will have the 800 /1000 abrasives included.

Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated due to my lack of WEPS.

Andy

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I agree with Tom (tcmeyer). Curtis (cbwx34) is also right… you don’t really need anything extra to get a sharp knife. But if you want something extra to get even sharper knives, I’d personally get the 800/1000 stones. You could instead get stone blanks with aluminum platens and lapping film. The 9 mm film will get your knives about as sharp as the 1000 grit stone.

I think that at this grit level it is a matter of price vs. durability. The 800/1000 stones may last you a lifetime, the lapping film lasts about 10 knives per film (at least the diamond lapping paper does, I never tried the aluminium oxide paper; does anyone know whether it lasts as long as the diamond paper?). At higher grit levels (above 1500 or 1600 grit) there is no stone alternative to the lapping film, unless you consider natural stones, which are not even on the site.

Personally I’d also consider an angle meter as an addition. The angles the WE indicates are good, but not perfect due to various technicalities.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tacocat
    Participant

Thanks to all who chimed in. I am confident that “getting my feet wet” is just the beginning with the WE. I am confident that the suggestions given will help produce a better edge than stopping at 600 grit.

I went the cheap route and got the aluminum lapping kit. I will return with an update and review of the Go when it arrives and I try out the included stones along with the optional lapping films.

Thanks,

Andy

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Cool.  My suggestion was primarily a way to “clean up the edge”… as an alternative to the leather strop.  Either route, (the lapping film or 800/1000 stone) will give you a “more refined” edge.  Just a bit more info… your edge should be pretty refined off the 600g stone.  Finish with light alternating edge leading strokes.  Then use the lapping film edge trailing just to clean up the edge and remove any residual burr or wire edge.  Don’t expect it to give you a “mirror polish” coming off the 600g stone. ½ dozen to a dozen strokes per side with the film (give or take), should be all that’s needed at this stage.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Both are good suggestions and I suspect I’m going to like the system and invest into a bigger kit. I could try the cheaper route with the lapping strips because if I upgrade to the bigger kit, it will have the 800 /1000 abrasives included. Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated due to my lack of WEPS. Andy

Andy, a couple of times you’ve indicated that if you like WEPS you’ll invest in a bigger kit….You will like it, I’m sure of that.  Maybe you should save some steps, time and money and just buy the bigger kit to start.  You’re mind is already thinking to the future.  Right now is a really good time to buy with the all new models and good pricing.  If you’re “Go Kit” is on the way maybe you can speak to the people at WEPS and just return it unopened and apply that credit to a bigger setup.  I venture to guess that most of the regular participants and contributors to our Forum community have in some form or another upgraded from their original WEPS purchase and also purchased additional accessories.  If you’re financially able and not afraid to spend on the bigger kit and have the space at home to use it, then do it now.  I’d suggest you buy the most complete kit with the all the accessories and never look back.  You won’t regret it for a moment.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think MarcH is on to something. I totally agree that you will like the Wicked Edge way of sharpening and you’ll find yourself wanting a WE120 or WE130 once you get into it. The micro-adjustment capable arms are a a big improvement for fine tuning the angles. If you’ve got the money, that is really the way to get what you’re after.

That said, the WE GO sure looks like an awesome grab and go sharpening kit for field work and the cost is very affordable.

tacocat
    Participant

I am one of those people that goes all in once I get a grasp of whatever it is I’m getting into. I went snow skiing for the first time and was hooked so I bought boots, skis and all the accessories.

I want to experience one before I buy big. I’m prepared to buy a Pro-Pack III kit once I learn the basics.

Andy

378pete
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 19

I agree with Tom (tcmeyer). Curtis (cbwx34) is also right… you don’t really need anything extra to get a sharp knife. But if you want something extra to get even sharper knives, I’d personally get the 800/1000 stones. You could instead get stone blanks with aluminum platens and lapping film. The 9 mm film will get your knives about as sharp as the 1000 grit stone. I think that at this grit level it is a matter of price vs. durability. The 800/1000 stones may last you a lifetime, the lapping film lasts about 10 knives per film (at least the diamond lapping paper does, I never tried the aluminium oxide paper; does anyone know whether it lasts as long as the diamond paper?). At higher grit levels (above 1500 or 1600 grit) there is no stone alternative to the lapping film, unless you consider natural stones, which are not even on the site. Personally I’d also consider an angle meter as an addition. The angles the WE indicates are good, but not perfect due to various technicalities.

I agree an angle meter would be a good addition.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I can highly recommend the pro pack 3. It is what I bought when I jumped in and has most of the goodies to get very sharp and refined edges. If you go that route I would only suggest two sets of strops to go with it, 4-2,1-.5 emulsions on leather or kangaroo. You won’t be sorry with the pro pack 3 my friend and it travels very nicely with the incredible nanuk case that comes with it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.