Advanced Search

!5/5 dps can do on WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started !5/5 dps can do on WE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hjl2
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

My son sharpens a knife for a friend that is nearly single bevel but it is not. From my memory it is 15 degrees on one side and 5 degrees on the other. Would one be able to sharpen that type of knife in the wicked edge?

Cheers

hjl2

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

If you could post a picture of the knife, I’m sure someone here could suggest a method that would allow you to sharpen it.  There’s a lot on experience here in the Wick Edge Forum and intuitiveness.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

hjl2
    Participant

Sorry I do not have a photo of the knife. It is some Japanese chef knife I believe.

Can one side of the wicked edge be made to come into 5 degrees or does the rod bind on the clamp?

What is the sliding rod at the base with the degree marks on called?

Cheers

hjl2

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Can one side of the wicked edge be made to come into 5 degrees or does the rod bind on the clamp?

You can tilt blade by adding several layers of blue tape or with something else. Use angle cube to calculate angle. Measure angle of tilted blade and angle of rod.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The WE on it’s own, based on my experience, will not sharpen a 5 degree bevel.  If you find some means to clamp the knife securely so the 5 degree side is leaning away from the arm to at least 12 or 13 degrees. then You will be able to.  Sometimes with Tormek Small knife Adapter can be used to sharpen larger knives at low angles by holding the knife out away from the clamp so the stone doesn’t hit the vise while sharpening at low angle settings.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    hjl2
    Participant

Hi MarcH

So another win for the Tormek small knife adapter.

Cheers

hjl2

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I’ve gotten angle down to 8 deg. with the low angle adapter and the tormek setting on top of that without tilting the blade but you will probably need 12 inch  arms when you put it up that high. If you have the attachments to that then just a slight tilt of the knife in the tormek should get you there. Just have to compensate for the tilt when figuring out the angle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.