Advanced Search

2017 Gen 3 Pro First Sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum 2017 Gen 3 Pro First Sharpening

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Viking
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

Well, I finally received my 2017 Gen 3 Pro yesterday.  I worked on my first knife last night.  I attempted to sharpen a cheap Santoku knife.  It had a lot of edge chipping when I was done; however, this was somewhat expected.  My main objective with the first sharpening was to make sure I used every bit of the sharpening stone to help break it in and knock off any loose diamonds.  I will sharpen a few more cheap kitchen knives to continue breaking in the new stones, but to also start working on my technique.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Sometimes really cheap knives tend to chip more readily than a knife made with a good steel / heat treatment. Something you can do to remedy the edge chipping present after you’ve done the re-profiling with the 100 and 200 grits is to dull the knife by gently grinding the apex away and then reestablish the apex with the 400 grit.

If you do video reviews (or even just written ones), I’d love to see a tour of the 2017 gen. 3 pro and to hear your thoughts on it once you’ve gotten more of a chance to familiarize yourself with the system.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viking
    Participant

Thanks for the tip.  I would be more than happy to write up a review.  I am a little camera shy, so no videos here.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Chipping tends to be less of a problem after your stones start to break in as you know by the sound of it. As Organic stated the steel does make a difference though and I have experienced steel that fell away and I thought was chipping. Even lesser grade steel if properly heat treated and tempered will sharpen very easily but bad heat treat and tempering will ruin even the best steel. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference from bad technique and bad steel but time, experience and confidence will tell in the end. Good luck in your quest Viking and don’t be afraid to ask these guys for their advice. They have helped me a lot.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Snecx
    Participant
    • Replies: 56

Is everything that came with the new Gen 3 fits in the storage box?

Viking
    Participant

Yes.  In fact everything is in it when it ships.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.