Advanced Search

2.5″ gentlemans folder, M4 Steel, edge advise?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles 2.5″ gentlemans folder, M4 Steel, edge advise?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter Zimmer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 8

I have this Gayle Bradley Air gentlemans folder in M4 steel. It’s still got the new factory edge, but I’m itching to tweak it with my WE. I’m pretty new to the WE, but studied every video I could find before I got it, so I didn’t have any initial learning pangs. Right off the bat I was getting hair whittling, mirror edges.
    I don’t have any experience with M4 steel, and would like some advice on what angle would be best for this knife, and how far should I refine it. How razor sharp can you refine M4, and how will it handle and retain that edge?
    It’s a 2.5″ gentlemans folder, so it would mostly be used for gentlemanly tasks, opening mail, loose threads, twine, trimming cigars?
    Any comments are appreciated.

Okay. I’m late for my “How to act like a gentleman” classes. Gotta run!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Based upon this thread you should be able to take it down to around 11 dps and it still be stable at the apex. I have taken gayle bradley down to about 13 dps and it seems to do fine! M4 is one of my favorite steels… I have not mirrored mine but it definitely takes a tree topping, 1k toothy edge just fine! Worse case scenario you lower it too much and then have to micro bevel it… no worries man, keep us posted!

Peter Zimmer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 8

Thanks. I’m still chewing on technique. This knife is sharp so I’m not rushing into it. I sharpened a Kiwi 4 today, and am trying to decide what is best for small Wharncliffe blades, up and down strokes, or sweeping strokes.
    Never tried a micro bevel yet, but planning to. Watched a couple vids, yours included, and listened to Cliff Stamp. I just sharpened up a couple of Enduras that would make prime candidates to go back and micro-bevel.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks. I’m still chewing on technique. This knife is sharp so I’m not rushing into it. I sharpened a Kiwi 4 today, and am trying to decide what is best for small Wharncliffe blades, up and down strokes, or sweeping strokes.
    Never tried a micro bevel yet, but planning to. Watched a couple vids, yours included, and listened to Cliff Stamp. I just sharpened up a couple of Enduras that would make prime candidates to go back and micro-bevel.

I would go with scrubbing and Edge leading passes from heel to tip to finish… With the “up and away” sweeping passes it is super easy to round your tip off…. Keep us posted!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.