Advanced Search

1500/6 micron

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jayhwker01
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 4

What would my progression be after 1000 grit stones. I own the following

1200/1600

1.6/.4 ceramics

1500/ 6 micron.

Do I use the 1500 after the 1200 but before the 1600 ceramics?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

If the 1500 is a diamond stone… I would use that before any of the ceramic stones.

Diamond stones tend to cut a bit deeper and more defined vs. ceramics.  The ceramics also burnish a bit.  So, even though the diamonds may be “finer”… they’ll usually work better before the ceramic stones.

All that being said… play around a bit and see what works best… especially at the finer levels, (and if the 6m is a lapping film, you may get a different result vs. a diamond stone). It’s pretty easy to switch back and forth… and it does little to the knife.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I go directly from the 1000 > 1500 > 6 micron lapping film and the results are very good in my opinion, but I don’t own any of the abrasives with grit in-between. If you go by the assigned grit ratings, I think it would be 1000 > 1200 > 1500> 1600 > 6 micron > 1.4 micron > 0.6 micron. I don’t own any of the ceramic stones, so I can’t speak from personal experience, but I would be very interested to hear what your experiences have been.

If you do some searching on the forum you will find that there has been a fair bit of discussion around where the various ceramic abrasives fit in the progression. This confusion stems in no small part from the difficulty in assigning a grit rating to ceramic abrasives because they are very different from other abrasives both in composition and mode of action.

Before the 1500 diamond palate was released Clay demonstrated that the 6 micron lapping film abrades very rapidly and is capable of removing the 1000 grit scratches efficiently with no other grits in-between.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I also have the 1500/6mic 1200/1600 and 1.4/.6 ceramics. I personally don’t use diamond stones after ceramic stones. I do the 1500 diamond. then 1200/1600 then 1.4/.6 ceramic. This is a very good edge after your diamonds break in and your ceramics break in as well. My ceramics have taken longer to break in than the diamond stones have. That being said I have over 100 knives sharpened with the diamond stones and they are still getting better with every use. The same with the ceramic stones but I don’t use the ceramics on all the knives. Probably 25 or 30 of the knives I’ve done with the ceramics. I know it sounds strange but after using the ceramics try going to the 6 mic lapping film as a final and let me know what you think of that. I finish almost all my knives with strops but the ceramic edge finished with the 6 mic lapping film is very refined. You are only limited my your imagination.

Tactical Texture LLC
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 21

I go from the 1K to the 1500/6micron.  That will give you the start of a very nice edge.  I finish off a mirrored edge with the 3 and 1.5 micron and call it more than good.

I have the ceramics, but the tapes just do such an amazing job so quickly that I haven’t really played with them much.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I think everybody should use the progression they like themselves. However, I think it is is bad reason to to use the progresson 1200 -> 1600 -> (1500) -> ->1,4 – 0,6, simply because of the decreasing numbers. As you can read on my blog, too, ceramic stones don’t exists of particles with a certain size, and hence it is impossible to assign a particlular size to them.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.